Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Government Affairs
The National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD) is the nonprofit organization that represents America’s 3,000 conservation districts and the 17,000 men and women who serve on their governing boards. Conservation districts are local units of government established under state law to carry out natural resource management programs at the local level. Districts work with millions of cooperating landowners and operators to help them manage and protect land and water resources on all private lands and many public lands in the United States.
NACD’s mission is to serve conservation districts by providing national leadership and a unified voice for natural resource conservation.
Position Description: This full-time position is responsible for providing assistance to the National Association of Conservation District’s (NACD) member conservation districts and NACD Board of Directors to advance conservation, resource development and to assist in the implementation of the association’s federal policies. The NACD Director of Government Affairs is the association’s primary liaison with Congress, federal natural resource agencies and groups with interests in responsible management and conservation of natural resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with Congress, federal natural resource agencies, coalitions and special interest groups to advance district policies and positions.
- Acts as liaison to outside conservation and commodity organizations.
- Coordinates the association’s direct advocacy efforts, develops plans strategies and tactics to advance policy positions, and supports grassroots efforts.
- Assists with reviewing and preparing testimony, position papers, and comments on regulations, programs, policies and statements affecting conservation districts.
- Assists with NACD’s policy development and resolution process.
- Provides policy information to conservation districts, state associations, government agencies, conservation organizations and the public upon request and as appropriate.
- Provides staff leadership for NACD’s Legislative Committee and Natural Resources Policy Committee.
- Identify and deliver grant-related activities to build, lead and maintain coalitions
- Carry out tasks of managing, coordinating and implementing grant related activities related to specific national grants and cooperative agreements
- Assists in planning and executing NACD conferences and events.
- Performs any and all related duties that advance the mission and purpose of NACD.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred in political science, public policy, environmental science or a related field.
- Significant professional experience working with Congress and federal agencies to advance an organization’s policy agenda as well as in coalition building and developing congressional testimony and policy position papers. A working knowledge of conservation districts and federal natural resource agencies is also required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with natural resource management issues.
- Moderate travel is required.
Location: This position is located in NACD’s Washington, D.C., headquarters and reports to the Chief Program Officer. Currently, NACD is operating on a hybrid working schedule with two days in office and three days working from home. This position would be in office tentatively Monday and Tuesday. Minimal travel will be required.
To apply: Submit a letter of intent and resume to the attention of NACD HR with ‘Director of Government Affairs’ in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Job posted: 2022-01-09