Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs
American Progress is seeking a Director of Government Affairs within the Advocacy and Outreach department. The successful candidate will be driven by the American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.”
This role will include a focus on identifying and executing on points of connectivity between government relations issues and American Progress’ five crosscutting priorities:
- Strengthening health and ending the pandemic
- Building an economy for all
- Tackling climate change and environmental injustice
- Advancing racial equity and justice
- Restoring social trust and strengthening democracy
The Government Affairs team works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations; elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks. Precise areas of policy responsibility for this role are not yet determined but could include the following: national security, energy and environment, health care, democracy and government, and race and equity issues.
- Work closely within the Government Affairs team to initiate, manage, and/or coordinate outreach to federal policymakers in Congress and officials in the executive branch.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and products by developing effective and innovative dissemination strategies to administration officials, members of Congress, and their staff.
- Ensure that the administration, congressional staff, and policymakers view American Progress as a resource when developing legislative language on issues within American Progress’ expertise.
- Identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ president, CEO, and policy staff as expert witnesses for congressional hearings and meetings.
- Work with relevant American Progress teams to develop, produce, and promote legislative and communications outreach strategies, often playing a project manager role.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to Congress and the executive branch, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least eight years of government affairs experience.
- Ability to work with numerous teams simultaneously and prioritize many distinct tasks.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Interest and experience in a substantive policy area.
- Expertise in working with the executive and legislative branches of government.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment—both independently and as part of a team—and be innovative and creative.
- Proven ability to combine policy recommendations with appropriate communications and political dimensions.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is not represented by a union and has a minimum salary of $92,000.
When American Progress’ offices reopen, employees will be expected to work in the office three days per week. We will continue to monitor the current health emergency and adjust plans as needed in the future. Any changes to our current policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-04-23