Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director – Government Affairs
General Counsel’s Organization:
Where great legal minds influence global business strategy.
Our mission is to protect and strengthen American Express through legal expertise and strategic advice that helps our business partners manage risk, identify opportunities, and deliver on the company’s promise of exceptional products and services. Given the dynamic nature of the global payments industry and the valued partnership between our team and the business, we see it as imperative to attract and develop talented people by:
- Providing rich work experiences and opportunities for professional development
- Recognizing and rewarding those who drive and deliver results
- Respecting and valuing diversity, integrity, and personal accountability
Role & Responsibilities:
Help propel your team and its business partners to success.
Our Global Government Affairs office represents the company on important public policy issues around the world, before Congress and the Administration, and state governments across the country. Global government affair colleagues work with departments to advance their international, U.S. federal and state policy agendas and support their business priorities and work with legislators, government officials, consumer leaders, business partners and trade associations to advance the policy interests of the company. This position is responsible for managing issue areas on behalf of the Company arising at the U.S. state and local level.
Here’s just some of what you’ll do in this role:
- In collaboration with VP, State & Local Government Affairs, identify, assess and influence legislative and regulatory proposals in assigned issue areas and jurisdictions; support business development initiatives involving select government agencies.
- Work collaboratively across the enterprise. Leverage skills and subject matter expertise among colleagues in Global Government Affairs and across other functions.
- Counsel internal business leaders on political dynamics and strategies to advance public policy objectives.
- Manage external counsel and strategically engage with trade associations and partner coalitions.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with public officials and policy groups across the political spectrum.
- Promote an ethical culture including but not limited to compliance with applicable lobbying, campaign finance and disclosure laws.
- Assess and implement best practices for industry-leading corporate government affairs program.
Are you ready for the challenge?
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years of relevant experience in state government affairs, preferably in a corporate or business association environment
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to identify and pursue strategic business objectives
- Experience in financial services, information technology, or consumer-facing industries a plus
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, take on new responsibilities and prioritize work in a dynamic, deadline intensive environment
- Ability to interpret and apply law and regulation in a practical, hands-on, commonsense manner
- Ability to gain credibility, manage expectations, and develop strong working relationships with GCO colleagues and business clients; convey clear advice to clients
- Strong process-management skills and ability to help identify and implement improvements in work process to enhance efficiency and productivity.
- High energy, team-oriented, self-starter, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability
- Location: Hybrid/Virtual
- Travel: Expected travel 25%
- Visa Sponsorship: Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the U.S. is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for this position.
Why American Express:
There’s a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people’s lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We’ve also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they’re ready to take on a new career path, we’re right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don’t make a difference without it.
Don’t live life without it.
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability status, age, or any other status protected by law.
We back our colleagues with the support they need to thrive, professionally and personally. That’s why we have Amex Flex, our enterprise working model that provides greater flexibility to colleagues while ensuring we preserve the important aspects of our unique in-person culture. Depending on role and business needs, colleagues will either work onsite, in a hybrid model (combination of in-office and virtual days) or fully virtually.
If the role you are applying for is designated as hybrid or onsite, you will be required to demonstrate that you have completed your primary COVID-19 vaccination series (i.e. 2 doses for Moderna/Pfizer and 1 dose for J&J), in order to work in or visit any of our offices. This requirement is subject to legally required accommodations.
US Job Seekers/Employees – Click here to view the “EEO is the Law” poster and supplement and the Pay Transparency Policy Statement.
If the links do not work, please copy and paste the following URLs in a new browser window: https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters to access the three posters.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-28