Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs
Join our NBCUniversal EPIC Legal Team! EPIC symbolizes the key foundational principles necessary for continued success as we strive to be extraordinary partners to the business in an evolving environment. Here at NBCU Legal, we are Expert Partners who provide Inspiring and Creative solutions to our clients. We are subject-matter experts, who collaborate with our legal colleagues and clients to guide, solve and push for our collective success. We inspire by bringing optimism and positivity to our work, and apply strategic and innovative thinking to overcome the obstacles facing our businesses.
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service. Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an impact.
As a key leader within NBCUniversal’s Government Affairs Team, the Director, Government Affairs will be responsible for managing state and local government affairs, public policy with a focus on economic development legislation (i.e., production tax credit incentives), and external affairs initiatives and activities across the NBCUniversal portfolio.
The position will report to the SVP, Head of Global Production External Affairs and State and Local Government. With the department’s 50-state mandate in mind, teamwork is not a tone but a core operating procedure embraced by the department. The Director should possess a “no drama” temperament when collaborating with department colleagues to efficiently filter, advance, or mitigate a high volume of legislation and policy proposals, as well as when “on call” for any “eleventh hour” government affairs crises impacting NBCUniversal business units.
The Director should exhibit sound judgement, discretion, and interpersonal skills when working with internal and external stakeholders. Additionally, the Director should have a proactive mindset, which is necessary for identifying and pursuing policy opportunities that could advance the company’s business interests in states and localities.
- Develop, coordinate, and implement the legislative and regulatory advocacy efforts to advance NBCUniversal’s business interests in the United States
- Build and sustain strong relationships with relevant government officials, including legislative offices, industry partners and thought leaders in the states and cities to influence public discourse in support of company interests
- Foster strong relationships with internal business leaders that entails “real time” updates on relevant political, legislative, and regulatory developments affecting NBCUniversal’s business activities in the United States
- Provide leadership and oversight in initiating projects that would positively enhance the company’s relationships with policymakers and political leaders
- Work collaboratively and cross-functionally to ensure message discipline and policy consistency
- Represent the company and advance the company’s policy priorities with relevant trade associations and advocacy groups
- Develop outreach strategies to further awareness of the NBCUniversal brand among state and local policymakers and third-party groups in the United States
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance consistently
- Minimum of 7 years of government affairs or public affairs management experience in the United States
- Strong knowledge of state and local government legislative processes
- Robust pre-existing relationships and credibility with government officials including legislative leaders and state lawmakers, trade associations, state and local chambers, and civic organizations in the United States
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
- Must be willing to work in New York, NY
- Must submit an attestation disclosing your COVID-19 vaccination status and, if partially or fully vaccinated, submitting your vaccination record no later than 7 days following commencement of employment
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at the commencement of employment or adhere to enhanced protocols in select work settings or where jurisdictionally mandated
- Must be willing to adhere to all Company COVID-19 workplace safety policies and protocols
- Juris Doctor (JD) or academic equivalent with a concentration in finance or accounting strongly preferred
- Previous public policy advocacy experience in the areas of economic development and production tax credit incentives in the United States preferred
- Pre-existing relationships with multi-state government officials and legislators are preferred
- Experience in the entertainment and media sector preferred
- Successful track record of developing advocacy strategy and advancing policy initiatives
- Confident executive presence and ability to interact, communicate and translate complex policy into clear and concise summaries of issues and business impacts to NBCUniversal C-suite executives, as well as business and functional leaders
- Superior advocacy skills, with ability to garner respect and credibility, as well as build rapport with multiple internal and external constituencies
- Excellent presentation and public speaking abilities, with outstanding writing skills
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-19