Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs
The Director, Government Affairs advances the interests of the company with legislators, regulators and other non-governmental stakeholders influencing federal policy development. The Director must develop excellent relationships with policymakers, formulate sophisticated advocacy on a broad range of policy issues, and provide clear guidance to the business about risks and opportunities.
This role is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Vice President, Government Affairs.
The main aspects of this role include, but are not limited to:
Lead and oversee IHG’s engagement in federal legislative and government affairs nationally, including:
- Identifying policy priorities through internal stakeholder engagement.
- Develop and maintain strategic relationships to enhance the company’s profile with policymakers and their staff, working closely with stakeholders and allies.
- Formulate and execute policy advocacy and identify developments that might impact the company on a broad range of issues.
- Managing a multi-issue policy portfolio, including analyzing relevant legislative and regulatory and developing company positioning.
- Represents IHG externally with stakeholders and with key trade associations.
Provide guidance to corporate senior leadership by:
- Informing senior leadership and developing executive communications on federal policy matters.
- Educating legal and operations leaders on legislative/regulatory changes that impact business activity and providing guidance as they implement compliance strategies.
Support other Government Affairs activities and projects, including:
- Identifying, shaping and/or creating opportunities at public events to educate policymakers about IHG to bolster company’s reputation.
- Developing or overseeing the creation of content for internal and external communications related to federal policy developments.
- Supporting the Government Affairs team in executing the government affairs advocacy objectives as well as ad hoc policy issues as they arise in the AMER region.
- Executing a clear owner engagement plan on key policy initiatives and advocacy efforts at the federal level.
Four-year college degree required, with advanced studies or a graduate degree in political science, public policy, law, or a related field preferred.
10+ years of experience working in a federal legislative office, in a legislative affairs or policy role within a government agency, political campaign, or in a government relations role, or with a mix of government, campaign and private sector experience preferred.
Technical Skill & Knowledge –
- Fluency with the federal political and legislative processes, as well as experience with grassroots and coalition management.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, demonstrating confidence and professional impact in front of stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – ability to work closely with people at all levels of the organization and explain complicated concepts in an easy-to-understand manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, with limited required direction and guidance.
- Efficient, organized work style and an ability to prioritize quickly and confidently.
- Strong problem-solving skills with ability to creatively develop solutions as necessary.
- Commitment to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity.
At IHG, we’ve made a promise. As one of the world’s leading hotel groups, we’re here to deliver True Hospitality for Good. Making our guests and colleagues feel welcome, cared for, recognised and respected – wherever they are in the world. Want to be part of the journey?
Job posted: 2023-01-11