Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director – Government Affairs
Reporting to the SFAA President & CEO, the Director – Government Affairs is responsible for development and implementation of SFAA policy positions on surety and fidelity issues in federal legislative and regulatory forums and promoting the value of surety and fidelity bonds in those forums, with support on state issues as needed. Specifically, responsibilities include assisting in the execution of strategic public policy, advocacy, communications and outreach campaigns to promote, advocate and defend policies and programs on behalf of the industry and member companies on federal issues to Congress and the executive departments; building and maintaining relationships with and representing SFAA primarily with federal policy makers to promote, advance and defend SFAA’s policy agenda, enhance SFAA’s image and establish SFAA as a trusted public policy resource; overseeing and building SFAA’s Political Action Committee and executing SFAA’s political fundraising strategy.
- Serve as a registered federal lobbyist for SFAA on Capitol Hill;
- Collaborate with SFAA leadership to develop and execute strategic legislative objectives;
- Manage SFAA’s federal legislative affiliation with the American Property Casualty Insurance Association (APCIA)—performing the bill analysis; identifying bills that need to be addressed; providing APCIA with position statements and talking points; developing a strategy with APCIA on legislation to be addressed; and providing testimony or finding local members to testify when needed;
- Assure that SFAA members receive timely communications on key legislative developments and new bonding opportunities arising from legislation or regulation;
- Staff the Federal Affairs Subcommittee of the Government Affairs Advisory Committee and as needed, participate in the State Affairs Subcommittee and Government Affairs Advisory Committee meetings;
- Maintain broad awareness of the political environment, trends, positioning and opportunities for implementing SFAA’s interests;
- Work with member representatives and external stakeholders to drive results through the legislative and political process;
- Develop and maintain high-level, bipartisan political relationships with Members of Congress and their staffs;
- Develop and cultivate beneficial relationships with NASBP, AGC, American Subcontractors Association, member company government affairs representatives and other insurance and construction-related associations and coalitions;
- Draft summaries of legislation, letters, testimony, talking points, questions for hearings, and other documents to support SFAA’s policy agenda;
- Explain complex policy, research and recommendations to federal policy makers and staff;
- Represent SFAA and speak on behalf of SFAA at conferences, webinars, briefings and events which will promote and advance the goals and objectives set forth in SFAA’s policy agenda;
- Collaborate and communicate with cross-departmental SFAA team members working on broad initiatives and work closely with the President & CEO and Vice President – Government Affairs;
- Assist the Vice President – Government Affairs in staffing and managing the SFAA Government Affairs Advisory Committee;
- Manage the SFAA Political Action Committee (PAC) and represent the SFAA PAC at fundraising events;
- Assist, as needed, in planning of SFAA conferences, webinars, briefings and events including the coordination of the participation of policy makers in conferences, webinars, briefings and events;
- Prepare content for and edit various SFAA publications and relevant SFAA Website pages;
- Review and update quarterly lobbying reports to ensure adherence to lobbying laws;
- Promote the value of surety and fidelity bonds and SFAA’s activities and accomplishments on legislative and regulatory affairs outside of the association in publications and social media;
- Perform and carry out other projects and functions as assigned.
- Leadership – Ability to lead and work in team environment;
- Communication skills to explain the value of bonds to legislators and regulators, to listen and address their questions and concerns, to negotiate the provisions in legislation and regulations and to produce clear and concise written statements and talking points;
- Time management skills and ability to handle multiple priorities when Congress and the states are in session;
- Experience in analysis and development of policy, including drafting legislation, letters of support and testimony;
- Strong knowledge of federal legislative processes and political contexts of those processes;
- Strong written, oral and presentation skills;
- Strong collaborative, interpersonal relationship skills;
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communications skills.
- Proven record of success in previous positions. Demonstrated ability to develop strategies, implement tactics and meet objectives;
- Excellent political contacts and ability to network in the political arena;
- Relevant experience in government relations, public policy and advocacy preferably related to the surety and fidelity lines of business or property/casualty insurance.
Responsible for shared supervision of Government Affairs Manager in analysis of legislation, maintenance of the legislative database, preparation of reports and other communications to the members, and review of alternative providers and costs for the legislative database.
This is a full-time, exempt position.
On the average, travel is 10% of the job annually.
Required Education and Experience
Four-year undergraduate degree;
At least 5-10 years’ work experience in lobbying/public relations firm, policy, staff/political campaigns, Capitol Hill legislative staff, and/or government affairs office for a trade association or company.
Preferred Education and Experience
5-10 years’ experience in the insurance, construction, or financial services industries;
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Email email@example.com for more information on how to apply.
Job posted: 2023-02-02