Director of Government Affairs
Better Medicare Alliance, a Washington based non-profit that advocates for Medicare Advantage on behalf of a coalition of stakeholder organizations, and beneficiaries is seeking a Director of Government Affairs. The candidate will be expected to have experience on Capitol Hill and have the skills and relationships to lead the government affairs function of the organization. The Director of Government Affairs will work closely with the President & CEO and Chief of Staff to develop and implement a strategic plan for government affairs for the Better Medicare Alliance. The Director will be an integral part of the senior team and will collaborate on developing and have responsibility for implementing the strategic plan for the government affairs. The Director of Government Affairs is expected to engage directly with Congress, Ally organizations, and influential policymakers and stakeholders.
- Work closely with the President and CEO, government affairs’ consultants, BMA staff, and key allies to develop, implement, and track the strategic plan for government affairs. Provide up-to-date advice, recommendations, and assessments to BMA staff.
- Have and maintain knowledge of political and policy environment relevant to Medicare Advantage.
- Engage Congressional offices, via meetings, emails, calls, and visits, as well as organizing Hill visits with organizations in the Alliance, and other stakeholders.
- Build and maintain relationships with key Congressional offices.
- Engage in ongoing development and implementation of Congressional action, related to legislation, hearings, briefings, correspondence or testimony. This would include preparation of written briefing materials and written summaries of legislation, as needed.
- Engage Allies in relevant advocacy activities, such as building coalitions of allies for specific issue campaigns, create joint letters, provide testimony, attend Congressional meetings, participate in briefings or events.
- Maintain and improve upon the existing systems for ongoing access and tracking of government affairs interactions.
- Work with the Policy and Communications teams to engage and respond to Allies’ questions, concerns, advocacy needs, and plan events.
- 5-8 years of health policy experience, including at least 3-5 years of health policy experience in Congress.
- Knowledge of Medicare preferred.
- B.A./B.S. required. Master’s degree desirable.
- Strong understanding of legislative process, procedures, and strategy.
- Able to read, interpret, and in some cases write legislative language.
- Background in health policy issues, including an understanding of Medicare Advantage.
- Understanding of and a working relationship with key stakeholders and policymakers on and off Capitol Hill.
- Interest in and ability to work with both sides of the aisle.
- Ability to plan ahead and promptly and effectively respond to changing circumstances.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including an ability to explain complex issues.
- Collaborative, team player, with the ability to work independently, and set priorities.
BMA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Please send resume, references, and applicable writing samples to email@example.com.
Job posted: 2020-08-28