Director Government Affairs
At Lancaster General Health, our culture is what sets us apart and creates a lasting impression of our health system in the community and in the hearts of our patients and their families. A role with us is more than just a job. We ask that you Live Your Legacy by finding your passion in your everyday role, committing to those you serve, and reaching for your personal best.
We are recognized as 1 of only 9 hospitals in the entire country with awards in Medicare.Gov, LEAPFROG and Healthgrades Americas 50 Best Hospitals. We have achieved four-years of Magnet ® status with the American Nurses’ Credentialing Center (ANCC) and we are the 2018 recipient of the Foster G. McGaw Prize in recognition of the commitment to community service.
Join us and be part of a team that empowers you to do more than your job and encourages you to:
Live Your Passion. Live Your Best. Live Your Commitment. Live Your Legacy.
Lancaster General Hospital
3044 Government Affairs
LG Health Executive Office/General Counsel
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for conceptualizing, developing, and overseeing the strategy and implementation of Lancaster General’s (LG) annual federal, state and local legislative and regulatory plan. Researches and tracks the proceedings of the state legislature and Congress and produces reports on state and federal public policy issues. This position collaborates with leaders across the LG system to establish policy and strategic plan priorities to inform and guide legislative strategies. Primary responsibilities include elevating LG’s presence at the state level and leveraging LG’s size and capacities in order to achieve policy and fiscal objectives that support LG’s mission, markets, and operations; and leading the development of system-level policy positions to advance and support Lancaster General interests and priorities.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Works with LG senior leadership to develop and execute Lancaster General’s annual state and federal legislative, policy goals and objectives
- Develops, establishes and maintains effective ongoing relationships as the primary LG representative with members of the state General Assembly, the Governor’s Office, Lancaster County’s federal delegation and their staffs, and key executive branch agencies.
- Establishes awareness about Lancaster General, its mission, and capacities with state and federal elected officials and policy makers and acts as primary contact
- Organizes and leads visits and input opportunities for Lancaster General’s senior leadership with state and federal leaders to advance LG’s fiscal and policy priorities including providing testimony at key hearings, and development of communications, studies, and data designed to support LG positions.
- Acts as a liaison with and collaborates in building effective relationships and coalitions with external organizations, including other health systems, HAP, AHA, national trade associations, and pertinent public and private agencies in support of LG’s legislative and policy priorities.
- Develops and manages resources and internal capabilities to identify, track, and analyze public policies, programs, and trends which are likely to have major fiscal and market impact on Lancaster General and; provides reports and recommendations on public policy initiatives for consideration by LG leadership.
- Develops and manages internal and external communication and measurement tools to expand and assess the awareness and effectiveness of Lancaster General’s government affairs plan and strategies.
- Develops and manages LG conferences and meetings designed to advance its legislative and advocacy agenda.
- Manages budget for Government Affairs and all state and federal capital budget tracking and invoicing processes.
- Knows, understands, incorporates and demonstrates the mission, vision, and values of Lancaster General in leadership behaviors, practices, and decision-making.
- Manages and collaborates with contracted individuals and/or firms to advance LG state and federal interests as needed.
SECONDARY FUNCTIONS: The following duties are considered secondary to the primary duties listed above:
- Participates on committees and attends meetings as directed.
- Prepares regular reports for Government Affairs Council and as requested.
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, Communications or a related field
- 10+ years of demonstrated success in managing federal, state and local legislative and regulatory plans in support of the public policy objectives of a company, trade association or governmental entity, preferably in or related to the healthcare industry.
- Proven ability to research, analyze and interpret legislation and produce corrective action reports based upon state and federal public policy issues important to the LG system.
- Demonstrated high level of interest in and understanding of public policy, health policy issues and the legislative process.
- Strong verbal communication, presentation, organizational and project management skills.
- Must have strong writing and editing skills.
- Attention to detail and flexibility.
- High degree of creativity, innovation, diplomacy, decision making, and sensitivity to confidentiality.
- A health care provider in good standing with Medicare, Medicaid, and other federal and state health insurance programs, i.e. not excluded from participation in Medicare, Medicaid or any other federal or state health insurance program.
- Master’s Degree
Lancaster General Health invests in the Employee Total Rewards by providing our employees with a competitive comprehensive packaging inclusive of:
Generous paid time off, Health, Dental, Vision, Wellness and Prescription, Retirement with an employer match and basic contribution, Tuition discounts and a tuition free affiliation with Pennsylvania Health Sciences. We also provide subsidized childcare, life insurance and career advancement opportunities for long term career growth.
Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to hiring a diverse workforce. All openings will be filled based on qualifications without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability, age, religion or any other classification protected by law.
Search Firm Representatives please read carefully: Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity. Regardless of past practice, all resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health via-email, the Internet or directly to hiring managers at Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health in any form without a valid written search agreement in place for that position will be deemed the sole property of Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health, and no fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Penn Medicine Lancaster General Health as a result of the referral or through other means.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-08