Director, Government Affairs
Basic Function of the Position: The Director is responsible for strategic oversight of lobbying initiatives related to self-driving, transportation policy and the sharing economy. The Director will also provide support to Government Affairs Vice Presidents on issues affecting the consumer technology industry.
Critical Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead federal policy engagement on self-driving, transportation, and sharing economy issues including conducting research and writing memoranda, articles, blog posts and position papers. Oversee CTA staff engagement in state and local issues within the Director’s policy portfolio.
- Identify, monitor, and influence federal legislation and regulations impacting the consumer technology industry.
- Work with relevant CTA departments including Communications and Tech & Standards to position the organization as a thought and technical leader.
- Identify emerging technology policy issues and establish CTA as a leading voice.
- Serve as the lead liaison with the CTA self-driving, transportation, and sharing economy working groups as well as relevant industry coalition groups. Represent the association at events, including political fundraisers and industry meetings.
- Maintain professional relationships with relevant Members of Congress and policy staff and collaborate with CTAPAC to cultivate new tech leaders in Congress.
- Attend and report on Congressional hearings and other policy briefings. Prepare statements and testimony for Congressional hearings, and comments for regulatory agencies.
- Manage and organize events, including, but not limit to, fundraisers, lobbying days, hill briefings, technology demonstrations and CES.
- Serve as a public voice for CTA’s policy positions in the press, on panels, and in other speaking engagements.
- Manage and develop assigned staff (sr. coordinator and coordinator level).
- Other duties assigned as required by business needs.
- At least 8-10 years’ experience working on federal legislative or regulatory issues
- Self-driving and transportation technology industry experience strongly preferred, transportation experience required
- Experience working on Capitol Hill
- Experience with research and writing focused on policy, legislation and regulatory issues
- At least 3-5 years’ management experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Political Science or related field preferred or commensurate experience
- Strong knowledge of the political process
- Strong research and deductive skills required
- Must be a strong, compelling writer with equally strong verbal communication skills including public speaking and presentations
- Excellent interpersonal relationship skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple priority and issue areas, with the ability to work independently and reliably on complex projects with tight deadlines
*Must have flexibility to attend industry events in the early mornings and evenings
*The Consumer Technology Association’s (CTA) awards and accolades include being honored 2014-2019 by the Washington Post as a “Top Workplace”, the Virginia Business and Best Companies Group “Best Places to Work” winner for the last ten years’. CTA is also an eleven-time year winner of the “CARE Award” and “Best Workplaces for Commuters” for the last seven years’ running.
The Consumer Technology Association is an Equal Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-13