Director of Government Affairs
Forterra Building Products is seeking a qualified Director of Government Affairs for its corporate office in Irving, TX.
Forterra Building Products is a leading manufacturer of a diversified range of concrete and clay building products in the United States and Eastern Canada including Drainage Pipe & Precast, Water Distribution, Specialty and Structural Precast, and Stormwater Management. Based in Irving, Texas, Forterra Building Products employs approximately 5,000 people and operates 85 strategically located manufacturing facilities. Forterra is built on a legacy of high-quality products and engineering expertise and is proud to help build the communities in which our employees live and work.
Reporting to the Vice President, Commercial, the Director of Governmental Affairs is primarily responsible for planning, directing and implementing legislative, community and communications activities that support the company’s legislative plan. The position requires service-focused proven leadership and development of proactive approaches to state, county and municipality concerns. This position also provides collaborative solutions for ensuring support for issues and interests of the company.
- Development and oversight of the Forterra Governmental Legislative Plan
- Serve as the Governmental Plan liaison between the sales and plant technical support teams
- Work closely with the Executive Committee and VP/GM teams
- Monitor and analyze issues, actions, and proposals of state and local governments, which affect the company and industry, and provide relevant and timely communications to divisional leadership teams
- Work with lobbyist teams, establish strategic plans and priorities to proactively address legislative issues.
- Oversee and assist lobbyist teams with addressing issues that arise during and outside of session.
- Work closely with state industry associations to direct governmental affairs initiatives.
- Develop and implement coordinated and collaborative programs to identify and engage key stakeholders in the communities in which we operate through regional team leaders
- Liaison with various decision makers with all technical specification targets as detailed in the Plan
- Develop strong relationships with DOT, City, county and other influential elected officials in their territory.
- Provides overall direction by analyzing business objectives and customer needs; developing, communicating, building support for, and implementing business strategies, plans, and practices; analyzing costs and forecasts and incorporating them into business plans; determining and supporting resource requirements; evaluating operational processes; measuring outcomes to ensure desired results; identifying and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; promoting a customer environment; and demonstrating adaptability and sponsoring continuous learning..
- Responsible for promoting new and existing concrete products to engineers, specifiers, end users and internal employees
- Lead the market development and education of the material specifying process with their customers/legislative reps.
- Identifying and attending Trade Shows relevant to the Governmental plan as the subject matter expert.
- Cultivates an environment of respect and adherence to company standards of integrity and ethics by integrating these values into all programs and practices.
- Developing consequences for violations or non-compliance.
- Develops and leverages internal and external partnerships and networks to maximize the achievement of business goals by sponsoring and leading key community outreach and involvement initiatives; engaging key stakeholders in the development, execution, and evaluation of appropriate business plans and initiatives; and supporting associate efforts in these areas.
- BS/BA degree with 10 years of relevant experience in political, government relations and/or external affairs, including some prior management experience
- Legislative or state legislative work experience is a plus.
- Substantive understanding of state and federal legislation and policy-making processes and ability to navigate an ever-changing complex political environment.
- Strong influential leader with the ability to clearly articulate the company’s vision and priorities to both internal and external parties.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills, adapting approach as needed for each engagement
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize simultaneously
- Excellent interpersonal skills with proven ability to successfully develop and maintain strong working relationships with cross-functional colleagues and external stakeholders
- Strong project-driven organizational skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated outstanding strategic planning and communication skills;
Benefits and Compensation
We know that our employees are critical to our overall success. We are dedicated to investing in their future to maintain long-term relationships for lasting commitments. We offer a comprehensive package of compensation and benefits programs which are regularly reviewed to maintain them at competitive levels.
Forterra Building Products is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to workplace diversity. M/F/D/V
Your salary will be commensurate with your work experience and relevant skills.
No Search Firms please.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-11-03