Director of Government Affairs
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
At Motorola Solutions, we help people be their best in moments that matter. We help firefighters see into burning buildings and police officers see around street corners. We are making public safety smarter by envisioning new technology for the future.
We are currently looking for a talented and skilled Government Affairs Director to be part of our Congressional team. In this position, you will represent the company before the U.S. Congress and key U.S. Federal agencies and advocate on behalf of issues of importance to the company. This role will be based in Washington D.C.
The Government Affairs organization (GA) manages Motorola Solutions’ outreach and advocacy on public policy and regulations seeking to leverage government relations to realize new business opportunities. GA builds and maintains relationships with government representatives globally, working to develop and preserve regulatory and political environments that are favorable to the company’s profitable growth.
GA is responsible for advocating Motorola Solutions’ public policy positions with governments in the United States and governments abroad. In addition, the organization houses the company’s country management organization.
As a Government Affairs Director, you will:
- Assist with the development and implementation of legislative tactics and strategies on policy.
- Analyze legislation of importance to the company and advocate in support of policies and programs that align with company priorities.
- Work closely with internal stakeholders on specific projects, and drive Congressionally-focused business development activity and strategic funding activity.
- Provide input to plan and develop the organization’s legislative agenda based on a solid understanding of the company’s business priorities.
- Investigate and keep management informed of pending legislative issues of concern to the company.
- Work with and may assist in managing contract lobbyists
- Although this person will be an individual contributor, he/she will coordinate with other team members and be highly collaborative and experienced in effective matrixed working relationships.
- Network with key contacts outside own area of expertise both within and outside Government Affairs.
- Interact with management and customer personnel on matters requiring coordination across organizational lines.
- Represent the organization as a principal contact with the U.S. Congress and key federal agencies.
To be successful as a Government Affairs Director you should be/have:
- 5+ years of legislative experience on capitol hill either at the member or committee level. Experience with public safety and/or homeland security matters a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 8+ years work experience.
- Must have knowledge and experience in developing and advancing legislative issues, agency budgets, international aid, and grant programs for state and local governments, as well as developing strategic plans concerning these issues.
- Strong collaborative, teaming and interpersonal skills, and behaviors are necessary to work with all levels across the business. At the same time, must be a self-starter who shows initiative.
- The ability to synthesize and summarize legislative issues and implications for management is required.
- A seasoned professional who can resolve complex issues in creative and effective ways.
- Direct legislative experience preferred.
- Strategic planning skills necessary, in addition, experience with consultant management is helpful.
- Excellent written and oral skills required.
- Bachelors Degree and 8 + years related work experience; preferably 5 + years of experience on Capitol Hill.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-01-28