Director, Government Affairs
About the job
Harmony Biosciences is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Plymouth Meeting, PA. The company was established in October 2017 with a vision to provide novel treatment options for people living with rare, neurological disorders who have unmet medical needs. For more information on Harmony Biosciences, visit www.harmonybiosciences.com.
SUMMARY: The Director, Government Affairs is responsible for developing and executing Harmony Biosciences’ federal and state legislative strategies that support the ongoing business objectives. The position identifies, monitors and influences public policy at the federal and state levels with the intent to ensure access to medication for patients with unmet medical needs and to optimize Harmony’s ability to continue to grow and make investments in these areas and in our community. This position reports to the Vice President, External Affairs and will partner internally to understand business objectives in order to effectively guide the key tactics and strategies related to Harmony’s external affairs activities.
This role is part of the Corporate Affairs group that includes: Corporate & Brand Communications, Government Affairs, Patient Advocacy, and Corporate Philanthropy.
This position will be located in Washington DC.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide ongoing analysis and recommendations for engagement in federal and state legislative, executive, and regulatory activities that impact Harmony Biosciences.
- Stay apprised of business goals and strategies to assess various government activities and initiatives, and their impact to Harmony and the patients we serve.
- Consult cross functionally with appropriate colleagues to gain a core understanding of Harmony business goals and strategies to aid in opportunity identification and analysis.
- Ensure that government affairs strategies are incorporated into business strategies and planning.
- Enhance Harmony’s senior management understanding and support for engaging in the policymaking process.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships that will advance Harmony’s legislative priorities including with Members of Congress, Hill staff, key regulatory agency staff and advisors and state policymakers (where appropriate).
- Represent Harmony Biosciences with trade associations and third party coalitions, advocating for policies identified of importance to Harmony and our patients.
- Actively participate in formulation and implementation of plan for Harmony PAC.
- Direct the activities of legislative and policy consultants, including in key states as appropriate, to ensure alignment and pull through of government affairs strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with focus in political science, public policy or a related field preferred;
- At least ten years of combined experience working in government affairs with Congress and/or the Administration. Pharmaceutical industry or trade association experience preferred.
- Consistent record of high ethical standards.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, written and interpersonal communication skills, particularly in interpreting and distilling complex information.
- Strong strategic and analytical thinking skills around complex issues with an ability to develop creative solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to develop strong networks with individuals and within associations that influence public policy.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of issues affecting the pharmaceutical industry and general health care policy.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently as a self-motivator as well as in on teams with a focus on pull-through of short- and long-term goals.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Travel is estimated to be 15% of the time for this position.
- While performing the duties of this job, the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Manual dexterity required to use computers, tablets, and cell phone.
Harmony Biosciences, LLC is an Equal Opportunity, e-Verify Employer. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-01-11