Director of Government Affairs
The National Association for Home Care & Hospice (NAHC) is the largest and most respected professional association representing the interests of chronically ill, disabled, and dying Americans of all ages and the caregivers who provide them with in-home health and hospice services. We are a trade association that represents the nation’s 33,000 home care and hospice organizations. Our mission is to promote, protect and advance the highest quality health care at home.
ABOUT THE JOB:
We are looking for an individual to serve as NAHC’s hospice representative on Capitol Hill before Members of Congress and their offices, as well as to other stakeholder groups. Strategize and execute legislative priorities. Coordinate and conduct advocacy efforts with state associations and partnering stakeholders. Analyze policy for impact on hospice providers and patients. Communicate important policy updates and legislative changes to NAHC members.
Duties include the following:
· Develops and implements a comprehensive strategy and approach to address NAHC’s legislative and regulatory concerns, to present to NAHC’s President, Board Members, Forum of State Associations, Advocacy Council, and Policy Committee in order to determine NAHC’s legislative priorities
· Executes policy recommendations adopted by the NAHC Board, Advocacy Council, and Policy Committee
· Educates members of Congress and their staff on all matters related to hospice legislation and regulations
· Represents NAHC at congressional meetings, coordinates with state associations, and other stakeholder groups; provides updates on movement of priorities
· Researches complex legislation and regulations relevant to hospice; conducts policy analysis for impact on hospice providers and patients
· Creates legislative initiatives in support of hospice
· Develops advocacy communication materials
· Contributes to NAHC Report by writing articles on current trends and issues
· Serves as point of contact for NAHC members on federal legislation, and communicates current updates
· Collaborates on grassroots advocacy with Director of Grassroots Advocacy and Community Engagement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Prior Association or experience in a member-based organization is preferred
· Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Public Administration, or related field, Master’s education preferred
· 5-7 years of experience in public and private sector lobbying is preferred
· Demonstrated success in creating, developing, and successfully leading groups in legislative and regulatory efforts
· Experience working collaboratively across multiple functions within an organization and executing goals with enterprise level impact
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• Expert knowledge of legislative & regulatory processes; must be able to effectively analyze legislation;
• Effective writing, editing, organization, and project management skills
• Detail-oriented, with proven ability to meet deadlines under pressure
• Expert at networking and communicating with various levels of an organization
• Ability to collaborate in a team environment and demonstrated ability to problem solve independently
• Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
• Must be able to travel nationally to meetings on an as-needed basis (post COVID-19)
NAHC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please reach out to HR.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-02-16