Director, Government Affairs
- Tracking Code
- Job Description
- The Director of Government Affairs advocates on behalf of airports with Congressional staff and works with airport executives, committees, and the Federal Affairs staff to develop and advocate for legislation that best serves the needs of the airport industry. The Director of Government Affairs is also responsible for providing continuous updates to airport members about Congressional activity concerning airports and the broader aviation community.
- Required Skills
- Works with the AAAE Federal Affairs team in pursuit of the association’s legislative and regulatory priorities.
- Develops and maintains relationships with congressional offices involved with transportation, security, and environmental issues on Capitol Hill.
- Expands AAAE’s “reach” with committee staff and individual Member offices in the Senate and House.
- Reviews and analyzes legislative and regulatory action that may impact airport executives.
- Represents AAAE in meetings with federal lawmakers and their staff and with other federal officials.
- Represents AAAE at fundraisers and other political events.
- Researches and/or works directly with airport executives to understand airport needs, views, or thoughts on relevant issues before Congress and/or executive branch agencies.
- Drafts correspondence to federal policymakers communicating AAAE’s views on federal policy issues.
- Monitors and reports on committee hearings, markups, meetings and other relevant events in Washington that impact AAAE members and the airport industry.
- Authors, edits, and reviews other relevant materials for distribution to AAAE leaders and members.
- Prepares written materials, congressional testimony, web content, comments on proposed legislation or regulations, newsletter articles, reports to board, and other materials as needed.
- Presents information about policy and legislation to small and large groups in person, by webinars or other means.
- Represents AAAE with coalitions, other organizations, federal departments, and agencies on policy-related matters.
- Moderates meetings and travels occasionally to attend conferences and related activities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Required Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 2-5 years of in-depth experience in governmental affairs.
- Knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes and federal budget and appropriations cycle. Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred.
- Existing relationships or ability to establish, develop, and grow relationships with Members of Congress and their staffs, with a focus on relevant transportation, security, and environment-related authorizing and appropriations committees and subcommittees in the House and Senate.
- Ability to develop and grow strong working relationships with relevant executive branch agency officials.
- General understanding of legislative and regulatory matters of importance to airport executives, including pandemic relief and recovery, airport infrastructure funding, security, and environmental issues.
- General interest in and knowledge of transportation and aviation issues.
- Excellent writing, editing, and communications skills.
- Excellent public speaking/presentation skills.
- Ability to handle numerous issues, tasks, and assignments with minimal support staff.
- Ability to produce timely and accurate summaries of legislative and regulatory actions, background documents, letters, and other necessary advocacy-related materials.
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure.
- Ability to work well with a small team of committed professionals.
- Willingness to work collaboratively in a team environment and occasionally assist with responsibilities and duties not directly related to the role of Director, Government Affairs.
- Ability to work independently and show initiative and creativity.
AAAE rewards our employees with a highly competitive compensation and benefits package that includes a retirement savings plan with approximately 10% employer contributions, generous vacation and sick leave, four options for medical insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, life and disability insurance, free parking, gym subsidy and more.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from the e-mail address. We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
Job posted: 2021-03-15