Director Government Affairs
Classification: Exempt, Non-Bargaining
The Director of Government Affairs is the face of the Company at the state legislature and represents the company’s interests and image there at all times. The Director also represents the Company’s legislative interests before the Governor’s cabinet and staff. Finally, the Director of Government Affairs is responsible for regulatory compliance activities and assists the Senior Director of Government Affairs in regulatory proceedings.
Performs job duties consistent within safety, legal and regulatory requirements; company standards, culture and business practices.
- Closely monitors each legislative session to determine which bills are relevant to the company’s interest.
- Drafts and deliver testimony on behalf of the company.
- Establishes a company presence at the legislature.
- Establishes, develops and maintains a positive working relationship with legislative leadership, members of pertinent standing committees, other legislators of note, members of the Governor’s cabinet and staff, and relevant business and professional associations.
- Participates on boards and committees where appropriate to advance the Company’s interest throughout the session.
- Responsible for monitoring and reporting regulatory compliance.
- Assist with representation of the Company before regulatory bodies, including but not limited to, preparing filings, drafting and delivering testimony.
- Assists with the drafting and negotiating regulated contracts including interconnection agreements and pole attachment agreements.
- Supervises outside lobbyists.
- Other related duties as needed.
- Contributes to departmental activities and programs by accomplishing related tasks as needed.
- Effective interpersonal, leadership, and communications skills in interacting with coworkers, policy makers, legislators, and others.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literacy including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Ability to produce high quality results under a variety of conditions and circumstances.
- Knowledge of current regulations, codes, and statutes, as well as a solid understanding of the process to lobby for new rules, laws, and statutes.
- Decision making, risk-taking, delegation, and time management skills to make independent decisions, move issues forward, and represent the best interest of the company.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience with 8-10 years’ of government affairs or regulatory experience required, including at least 5 years’ managerial experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, familial status, genetics, disability, age, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-03-17