Director, Government Affairs
Greenworks Lending is a specialty finance firm that provides loans for energy-saving upgrades in commercial buildings using an innovative model called C-PACE (Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy). C-PACE unlocks the commercial market by providing no-money-down, low-cost, long-term capital. Our mission is to improve the energy efficiency of our country by creating a new normal for financing energy upgrades in buildings.
Greenworks is investor-funded with offices in Darien, CT (HQ), New York City, NY, Bethesda, MD and San Francisco, CA.
The Director, Government Affairs will play a critical role in expanding Greenworks’ capacity in growing our footprint across the country.
The Director will benefit from rapid on-the-job learning, unparalleled strategic input, access to company executives and tremendous growth potential.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordinate with Head of New Markets & Sr Director of Policy and Programs to support growth of C-PACE markets across country.
- Support lobbying and legislative sponsorship for new state C-PACE bills, legislative amendments, or defensive legislative activities in select states.
- Manage legislative sponsorship and lobbying relationships for Greenworks Lending in select states.
- Coordinate with Greenworks’ industry partners, including other government relation firms, national trade association members, rating agencies, outside counsel, public sector stakeholders, and local advocates in select states to identify and foster strategic relationships with local stakeholders that are positioned to support adoption and implementation of C-PACE, including: agencies that may act as program administrators, legislative allies, local counsel with requisite expertise on property tax and assessment law, etc.
- Support activities at the federal level to accelerate the adoption of C-PACE
- Including working with federal agency C-PACE guidelines
- Supporting efforts to integrate policies that would accelerate C-PACE deployment (ie incorporating language into stimulus bills or infrastructure bills; federal legislative rules and regs that support a robust marketplace for C-PACE loans)
- Proactively monitor, identify, and manage legislative threats as they arise, nationwide, sometimes in coordination with other market participants.
- Work with Head of Programs & New Products to support other federal, state, and local clean energy policy objectives of Greenworks Lending that would help Greenworks develop new clean energy loan products
- Identify complimentary legislative activities at the federal, state, and local levels that enable robust market conditions for deploying Greenworks’ C-PACE and other clean energy lending products.
- Elevate legislative priorities for Greenworks
- Supportive Greenworks partners in advocated for and supporting legislative priorities as needed
- Represent Greenworks in advocacy efforts with federal and state agencies on clean energy lending policy.
The Director role is suited for a mid-career (5-12+ years’ experience) professional with experience in lobbying, legislative sponsorship, government affairs and/or government relations. Top candidates will have the following characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree minimum. Graduate degree in a related field a plus.
- A background in government relations, political science, lobbying, and/or policy (energy or sustainability preferred)
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholder groups in a diplomatic manner and achieve solutions that are win-win for diverse groups.
- The political instincts to see relationships and networks and to extract value for the firm through pro-active engagement.
- Ability to engage positively with both external and internal stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills (phone and in-person) and written and verbal communication skills
- High level of adaptability to a quickly changing environment
- Demonstrated interest in sustainability and/or clean energy deployment
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary and bonus potential based on exceeding revenue goals
- Social activities and a work life balance philosophy
- Paid time off, health insurance (medical, dental and vision), FSA, 401K, commuter benefits
This is an excellent opportunity for motivated individuals that want to grow with a rapidly expanding organization and further their career path.
Greenworks Lending is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-10