Director of Government Affairs
One Medical is a primary care platform challenging the industry status quo by making quality care more affordable, accessible and enjoyable. But this isn’t your average doctor’s office. We’re on a mission to radically transform healthcare, which means tackling the frustrations of everyone involved — from patients and providers to employers and health networks.
Across the country, our members enjoy seamless access to comprehensive care at more than 90 locations across thirteen cities (and counting!) as well as 24/7 access to virtual care powered by intelligent uses of technology. In addition to a direct-to-consumer membership model, we work with more than 7,000 companies to provide One Medical health benefits to their employees.
As One Medical continues to expand our ability to provide innovative and human-centered primary care for all, the teams supporting that growth are expanding as well. We are seeking to hire an experienced Director of Government Affairs to build out the government affairs function within our organization, and develop, coordinate and advance company policy goals at the local, state and federal levels. Reporting to the Vice President and Assistant General Counsel, the Director of Government Affairs will round out a dynamic and growing legal team, and will be considered a subject matter expert on GA and policy matters. As a highly visible leader within the organization, you will work across verticals, developing trusting relationships, adeptly guiding and advising key stakeholders.
You are a natural leader, instilling trust through sound decision making, and actions that reflect your ideas. Persuasive, you are equally at ease in a boardroom or on Capitol Hill, and you collaborate easily in order to drive groups toward a common goal. You are hands-on, deeply engaged in your work, and able to effectively manage multiple projects and “ruthlessly” prioritize. Driven by the desire to take on new challenges and learn new skills, you are always willing to share your knowledge with others. If you are skilled in distilling complicated problems and driving practical solutions from ideation to implementation, demonstrate grace under pressure, and are inspired by the idea of developing and scaling a Government Affairs practice within an innovative and high-growth organization, we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll likely work on:
- Define organizational GA strategy, and execute against that plan in a highly collaborative and cross functional environment.
- Shaping and implementing corporate policy through strategic partnerships, leveraging knowledge of the policy landscape and existing relationships to successfully partner with government and industry groups who align with One Medical’s business objectives.
- Monitor and represent company interests in the policy arena, at local, state and federal level.
- Advise and guide the company on risks or opportunities related to policy landscape.
What you’ll need:
- 10+ years of experience working in government affairs, with at least 2 years working in an in-house capacity, advancing policy within the healthcare sector
- Juris Doctor or equivalent experience to aid in navigating complex legislation or regulations
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, high comfort level interfacing with government officials and senior executive leadership
- Project Management skills
- Experience managing outside consultants under work plans, budgets and similar controls
- Experience demonstrating ROI with metrics or other data sources
Benefits designed to aid your health and wellness:
Taking care of you today
- Paid sabbatical after 5 and 10 years
- Employee Assistance Program – Free confidential advice for team members who need help with stress, anxiety, financial planning, and legal issues
- Competitive Medical, Dental and Vision plans
- Free One Medical memberships for yourself, your friends and family
- Pre-Tax commuter benefits
- PTO cash outs – Option to cash out up to 40 accrued hours per year
Protecting your future for you and your family
- 401K match
- Opportunity to participate in company equity programs
- Credit towards emergency childcare
- Company paid maternity and paternity leave
- Paid Life Insurance – One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Basic Life Insurance
- Disability insurance – One Medical pays 100% of the cost of Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
This is a full-time role based in Washington DC with travel to San Francisco Headquarters
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer and encourages all applicants from every background and life experience.
One Medical is an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage qualified applicants of every background, ability, and life experience to contact us about appropriate employment opportunities.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-05-22