Director, Government Affairs
About the job
The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) is the voice of the U.S. semiconductor industry, one of America’s top export industries and a key driver of America’s economic strength, national security, and global competitiveness. SIA seeks to strengthen U.S. leadership of semiconductor manufacturing, design, and research by working with Congress, the Administration and other key industry stakeholders to encourage policies and regulations that fuel innovation, propel business, and drive international competition.
SIA is seeking a Director, Government Affairs to help develop and advance the policy goals of SIA and our member companies.
Policy responsibilities include matters related to competitiveness and innovation in the semiconductor industry, including incentives for semiconductor manufacturing, technology and research funding, workforce and high-skilled immigration, and other assignments as needed. This position engages in the daily monitoring of policy developments, provides timely and effective information and analysis to member companies, coordinates the industry’s position on policy matters, and implements the industry’s advocacy before Congress, the Administration, and relevant federal departments and agencies.
- Undergraduate degree (BA or BS) is required; a graduate degree is strongly preferred. Strong familiarity with science- and technology-related policy issues.
- A minimum of five (5) years of Congressional and/or Administration experience on a relevant committee, Congressional office, Executive Branch agency or comparable government affairs experience is required.
- An advanced understanding of the policy and political landscape and the federal legislative and regulatory process, particularly as it pertains to federal science and technology policies, programs and appropriations.
- Strong analytical skills and outstanding judgment in evaluating legislative, regulatory, and policy developments and creating the necessary strategies, supporting information, and written documents to achieve the organization’s goals.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills that allow the individual to lobby issues effectively with lawmakers, policy makers, regulators and other key officials, and to interact with senior executives in member companies.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to work both independently and as part of a team to produce high quality work, often under significant time pressure.
We are seeking a candidate with the ability to develop and maintain strong bipartisan relationships with Members of Congress and congressional staff (with an emphasis on Republican members of the House and Senate and their staff), administration officials, member companies, and other stakeholders. A successful candidate should have a demonstrated record of achievement in formulating and executing successful strategies in achieving policy goals, demonstrate excellent professional judgment, and possess the ability to represent SIA before policymakers, member companies and other stakeholders.
Requires periodic domestic and international travel.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job posted: 2021-05-22