Director of Government Affairs – 90000265
Your success is a train ride away.
Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country and we move America’s workforce toward the future. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority and the success of our railroad is the result of our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Director, Government Affairs is responsible for advancing the corporate legislative agenda and managing relationships with United States House of Representative members, committees, and staff.
- Articulates and presents the corporation’s legislative goals, statutory requirements, and position on pending authorization and appropriation legislation, and/or any Amtrak or intercity passenger rail related legislation or issues.
- Prepares senior management for House of Representative meetings and hearings.
- Develops briefs, talking points, report language, and other written materials relative to the legislative agenda or in response to inquiries from the House.
- Develops authorization, appropriation, and safety related hearing testimony and assists key committees with technical assistance and reviewing and editing transcripts.
- Provides briefings to and solicits information from senior management and other employees regarding legislative and congressional issues, policy, and advocacy.
- Reaches out to stakeholders, interest groups, employees, and other constituencies to advance the corporate legislative and congressional agenda.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Political Science, Public Administration, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and training/experience.
- Demonstrated legislative policy experience in a congressional office.
- A thorough understanding of authorization and appropriation legislative processes.
- Advanced leadership and management skills with a proven ability to motivate others; effective writing, presentation, meeting, and interview facilitation skills; interpersonal communication; time management; and conflict resolution and investigation skills.
- Demonstrated experience communicating orally and in writing.
- 11 years of relevant experience
- Ability to travel at a minimum of 10%.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated skills using Microsoft Office.
- Masters Degree in Business or a related field.
- Transportation industry experience.
- Previous experience in a federal government affairs office.
- 13 years of experience
COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS:
Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
Posting Location(s):District of Columbia; Maryland; Virginia
Job Family/Function:Government Affairs
Travel Requirements:Up to 25%
Amtrak employees power our progress through their performance.
We want your work at Amtrak to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high performance culture that recognizes and values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
We proudly support and encourage U.S. Veterans to apply for Amtrak job opportunities.
All positions require pre-employment background verification, medical review and pre-employment drug screen. Amtrak is committed to a safe and drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing. All new hires are required to undergo a hair drug test which detects the presence of illegal drugs for months prior to testing. Marijuana, notwithstanding any statute, ordinance, regulation, or other law that legalizes or decriminalizes the use or possession of marijuana, whether for medical, recreational, or other use. Candidates who engage in the usage of marijuana will not be qualified for hire. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping Amtrak safe and drug-free.
In accordance with DOT regulations (49 CFR section 40.25), Amtrak is required to obtain prior drug and alcohol testing records for applicants/employees intending to perform safety- sensitive duties for covered Department of Transportation positions. If an applicant/employee refuses to provide written consent for Amtrak to obtain these records, he/she will not permitted to perform safety-sensitive functions.
Note that any education requirement listed above may be deemed satisfied if you have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Amtrak is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome all to apply. We consider candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability (including blindness), or veteran status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-07-17