Director, Government Affairs
WHO WE ARE
The Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) is the US trade association for leading retailers. Through collaboration and thought leadership, we provide retail executives a forum to network, share best practices, advance ideas and take action.
Equally as important, RILA values a work environment where employees can thrive. We rely on teamwork, respect, trust and transparency, flexibility, and commitment to serve ourselves and our members well.
The Director, Government Affairs provides general administrative, legislative, and political support to the government affairs department. Specifically, working directly with Vice President(s) co-leading technology policy and labor and employment. This position also leads the issue tracking and engagement for state privacy legislation, supports federal privacy legislation advocacy, manages and supports government affairs responsibilities (with supervision as needed) on lithium batteries, talent acquisition and retention, and Americans with Disabilities Act related matters impacting the retail industry.
ADDITIONAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITES
- Co-lead federal comprehensive privacy legislative efforts and co-manage RILA’s Privacy Leaders Council
- Provide support and administrative assistance for other public policy areas as needed throughout the year.
- Regularly monitor and notify department of congressional and executive branch schedules for activities of interest to RILA members.
- Regularly draft and send emails, updates, and correspondences for RILA committee members and schedule meetings and conference calls with member companies
- Maintain department databases, distribution lists, schedules and key documents (issue briefs, position papers, etc.)
- Provide legislative and political research assistance as directed, including drafting newsletter articles.
- Administrative support for relevant committees/work groups and any relevant committee meeting, to include meeting logistics, reserving meeting space, prepping and sending invitations and day of event execution.
- Assist department with writing and reporting responsibilities (i.e., proofreading, editing, dissemination of reports and articles, newsletters, Board documents, etc.)
- Assist with coordination of bi-annual RILA Government Affairs Committee meeting each summer and winter as needed.
- Train/onboard new Government Affairs junior staff hires on Informz, Fonteva, Bloomberg Government, and other necessary internal and external communication and legislative tools; coordinate projects for summer interns as needed.
- Collaborate with non-government affairs staff on special projects, most notably including the Retail Innovation Center.
- Keep up to date and stay educated on current RILA issues.
- Maintain open conversation with government affairs team about office processes and ways to improve on them
Required Skills & Experience
· Demonstrated experience working on public policy advocacy and with committee/work group relations. Knowledge of associations and specific issue areas preferred.
· High-quality written and verbal communication skills.
· A high level of professionalism, including the ability to work with executives from member companies, association partners, and RILA staff at all levels.
· Strong operational skills, with the ability to effectively work both collaboratively with our team and independently.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, without compromising quality of work.
· Strong decision-making ability.
· Attention to detail.
· Flexibility and willingness to change and adapt with the fast-paced retail industry.
· Medical, Dental and Vision Coverage (FSA/HSA options available)
· Employer sponsored Life Insurance, STD and LTD Coverage
· 401 (K) Retirement Plan with Employer Match
· Flexible Paid Time Off + 11 Federal holidays
· Professional development opportunities
· Team outings/gatherings
RILA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply. We are committed to being an inclusive place to work, while maintaining a workforce that represents the communities we serve.
The safety and wellbeing of our team members is the highest priority for RILA. The organization is currently working 100% remote, and onboarding for this position could be conducted virtually or hybrid. Full-scale reopening of RILA’s Washington DC office is planned for September.
To be considered for the position, you will need to submit two documents – a resume and a statement of interest. The statement of interest, or introductory letter, (<1 page) should tell us about you and why you’re applying. We look forward to learning more about you.
Job posted: 2021-07-13