Director, Government Affairs
American Progress is seeking a Director of Government Affairs within the External Affairs department. This role will be driven by the American Progress’ mission “to improve the lives of all Americans, through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country.” The External Affairs department works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations; elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks. Precise areas of policy responsibility are not yet determined but could include some of the following: national security, energy and environment, health care, democracy and government, and race and equity issues.
- Work closely with the Government Affairs team to initiate, manage, and/or coordinate outreach to federal policymakers in Congress and officials in the executive branch.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work product by developing effective and innovative dissemination strategies to administration officials, members of Congress, and staff.
- Ensure that the administration, Capitol Hill staff, and non-Capitol Hill staff view American Progress as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues where American Progress has expertise.
- Actively identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ president and CEO and policy staff as expert witnesses for congressional hearings and meetings.
- Work with relevant American Progress teams to produce, promote, and develop legislative and communication outreach strategies, often playing a project manager role.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to Congress and the executive branch and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least eight years of experience.
- Ability to work with numerous teams simultaneously and prioritize a large number of tasks.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest and experience in a substantive policy area.
- Familiarity with the executive and legislative branches of government.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team, and be innovative and creative.
- Proven ability to combine policy recommendations with appropriate communications and political dimensions.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds
are strongly encouraged to apply.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-24