Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs and Alliance Development – #2425
GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Government Affairs and Alliance Development, and working in collaboration with colleagues across GRAIL’s functions, the Director will engage third parties (e.g., patient advocacy organizations, provider associations, trade associations, think tanks, etc.) at the local, state, and regional level on behalf of GRAIL to build ethical, mutual, and enduring partnerships that inform GRAIL’s work and advance GRAIL’s goal of achieving broad access and coverage of GRAIL’s current and pipeline products. In addition, the Director will lead operations of the GRAIL Political Action Committee (GRAIL PAC) and other related political engagement efforts as appropriate.
- Develop and implement localized government affairs and stakeholder engagement strategies to leverage third-party expertise and further equitable access to multi-cancer early detection technology.
- Work with internal department and cross-functional colleagues to drive functional goals and develop broad and/or targeted, localized ally engagement strategies to support those goals.
- Build and implement strategies to increase awareness of multi-cancer early detection tests and GRAIL’s test, Galleri.
- Build and maintain local, state, and regional long-term, substantive relationships with third-party associations based on values of trust, respect, and transparency.
- Facilitate company educational activities for third-party associations
- Effectively manage deployment and oversight of related department resources
- Support efforts to prepare for engagements with external partners, including briefing GRAIL executives and department leaders and developing content for external engagement.
- Lead management of the GRAIL Political Action Committee (GRAIL PAC) and related fundraising, disbursement, communication, and compliance matters in collaboration with key colleagues and the GRAIL PAC governance structure
- Work cross-functionally as a strong partner and collaborator.
Your background should include:
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of experience, preferably in state government affairs and/or state health care policy, working for or with companies in public affairs, advocacy, or alliance development.
- Existing relationships with patient advocacy organizations are highly desired, as is previous experience as a relationship manager for professional associations.
- Credibility among healthcare policy stakeholders, coalitions, and other advocacy organizations.
- Outstanding relationship management abilities and strong social skills
- Superb communications skills, both written and interpersonal.
- Strong desire to contribute to team success, with a genuine enthusiasm for supporting team members’ efforts.
- Empathic, passionate, and solution-oriented individual with the ability to build meaningful connections with partners.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Following extensive monitoring, research, consideration of business implications, and advice from internal and external experts, GRAIL has made the decision to require all U.S. employees receive the COVID-19 vaccines as a condition of employment. “Full vaccination” is defined as two weeks after both doses of a two-dose vaccine or two weeks since a single-dose vaccine has been administered. Anyone unable to be vaccinated, either because of a sincerely held religious belief or a medical condition or disability that prevents them from being vaccinated, can request a reasonable accommodation.
Job posted: 2022-07-18