Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
director, government affairs, federal
JOB TITLE: Director, Government Affairs (Federal)
Date: September 2022
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America’s leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It’s how we care, grow, and win together.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of experts. Whether specializing in law, government affairs, employee relations, risk, compliance, ethics, security or food safety, we use our expertise and influence to advocate for Target, support Target’s business and mitigate risk for the company. We work with both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively, ethically and securely conduct business. Through our understanding of Target’s business models and operations, we help facilitate Target’s growth, and provide guidance that leaders rely on to make appropriate, well-informed decisions. Simultaneously, we help protect the business by applying our comprehensive understanding of risk and the law on issues that impact our brand, guests, team members, stores, distribution centers and corporate locations.
Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business, collaborating with others and building relationships with senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be essential to tackling the ever-changing legal and risk-based challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail environment.
A role in Government Affairs means ensuring local and federal government entities have positive relationships with Target Enterprise. You will act as an advocate on behalf of Target and serve as an internal expert to both internal and external entities on a variety of key social and governmental issues that allow Target to conduct business in the most productive way.
This is a new role to the Target Federal Government Affairs team working out of our Washington, D.C. offices. This Team Member will work collaboratively with three other full-time Target Government Affairs Directors who also advocate on and influence Target’s public policy priorities. The position reports to Senior Vice President, Government Affairs.
As Director, Government Affairs you will:
- Serve as Target’s primary representative on federal and international tax matters and other issues as assigned, interacting with federal officials to advocate for Target’s interests on public policy
- Represent Target in retail industry and business groups, working groups, and coalitions that cover federal and international tax matters, among other issues
- Shape advocacy priorities in close partnership with Target’s federal tax team and its advisors, and other Target business leaders
- Establish and maintain an intelligence-gathering strategy to proactively identify emerging trends to help the company navigate business decisions
This work is performed in a dynamic, sometimes volatile and highly-visible political environment that involves significant reputation and brand considerations. With your experience, network, and policy knowledge, a successful Team Member will be open, intellectually curious, and committed to working in a bipartisan fashion.
Target’s Government Affairs team is highly collaborative, and each Team Member is expected to bring their input and recommendations to the team’s work. This includes on Political Action Committee solicitation and giving, Team Member civic engagement and awareness, and external and internal risk and reputation management, all consistent with Target’s values and purpose.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 6-10 years of experience in business, government relations, public affairs, external engagement or related field.
- Proficiency in the legislative process and to analyze and react to political trends at all levels of government.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to facilitate meetings, resolve conflict, build consensus, establish rapport and collaborate effectively across departments and all levels of team members including senior leadership.
- Sound judgment with the ability to assess risks to Target’s reputation, work autonomously and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to build lasting relationships with external partners and to work collaboratively across diverse groups in a way that positively supports Target’s brand.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with a distinct ability to distill complex ideas into simple, understandable messaging.
- Ability to apply discretion and sensitivity while working with confidential information.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Job posted: 2022-09-19