Director Of Government Affairs (GOP)
PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON APPLYING AT THE BOTTOM OF PAGE. APPLICATIONS NOT FOLLOWING THIS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
At Humanity Forward, we believe in the power and potential of direct cash relief policies to eradicate poverty in the United States. That’s why we’ve built the leading bipartisan advocacy organization fighting for these anti-poverty policies at the federal level. We focus on championing innovative solutions to the biggest problems of the 21st Century, and advance policies directly to members of Congress. Humanity Forward successfully worked with allies on Capitol Hill to pass the $600 stimulus checks in December 2020 and was an integral part of the coalition lobbying for the $1,400 stimulus checks in March 2021. In addition, HF lobbied for the increase to the child tax credit (CTC), which included the revolutionary factor of CTC becoming a fully refundable monthly payment by the IRS starting this July 2021. Legislation this transformative has the power to end poverty in America.
Humanity Forward (HF) is seeking a Director of Government Affairs (GOP) to join our Executive Team. This position will serve as the leader, manager, and primary strategist of HF’s GOP-side legislative campaigns. This role will focus on governmental affairs, stakeholder outreach, coalition-building, legislative strategy, and relationship cultivation on and off the Hill. It will also involve GOP-side press outreach, media relations, fundraising, and policy partnerships.
This position will spearhead three of HF’s bipartisan legislative campaigns: (1) our campaign for a monthly child tax credit to lift up struggling families; (2) our campaign for auto-stabilized recurring direct payments to help our economy recover now and in future economic crises; and (3) develop long-term local, state, and national policies for poverty reduction and direct relief.
- Work closely with the Government Affairs team to initiate, manage, and/or coordinate outreach to federal policymakers in the U.S. Congress and officials in the executive branch.
- Promote Humanity Forward’s legislative policy priorities and work product by developing effective and innovative dissemination strategies to administration officials, members of Congress, and staff.
- Ensure that the administration, Capitol Hill staff, and non-Capitol Hill staff view Humanity Forward as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues surrounding direct cash relief.
- Actively identify and pursue opportunities to promote Humanity Forward’s issues and surrogates
- Work with relevant teams to produce, promote, and develop legislative and communication outreach strategies, often playing a project manager role.
- Keep internal staff updated on news and events related to Congress and the executive branch, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS:
- At least 7-10 years of government affairs experience
- A deep understanding of the legislative & committee process in both the House and Senate
- Ability to work with numerous teams simultaneously and prioritize a large number of tasks.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Passion for the policy goals of the organization.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team, and to be innovative and creative.
- Proven ability to combine policy recommendations with appropriate communications and political dimensions.
- Bilingual or multilingual is a bonus but not required.
Compensation is commensurate with experience. Benefits include full health, dental and vision insurance, and flexible PTO. Applicants should be based in Washington DC. Diverse applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please fill in your application details in the link below.
Diversity is our biggest asset and necessary for organizational strength. It is a fundamental policy of Humanity Forward to provide equal opportunity of employment to all applicants, without regard to race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, ethnic identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, economic status, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status.
Job posted: 2021-09-20