Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Affairs, New York
Invenergy drives innovation in energy. Powered by decades of entrepreneurial experience and unparalleled execution, we solve the energy challenges facing our customers and communities. We provide power generation and storage solutions at scale around the world to create a cleaner energy future. We develop. We build. We own. We operate. We are Invenergy.
As Director, Government Affairs, this position will lead Invenergy’s governmental affairs advocacy efforts in the state of New York. The Director will be charged with executing the legislative policy agenda and bolstering legislative and executive branch support for Invenergy’s business development activities in the state, including special projects, with an emphasis on offshore wind. The Director will report to the Vice President of Government Affairs, East. The Director will work collaboratively with members of all departments within the company to ensure alignment on key initiatives and strategies.
The successful candidate will have extensive policy and advocacy experience in Albany. They will also have strong relationships with leaders of both parties, NYSERDA and the various trade and environmental organizations in the state.
- Advocate on behalf of the company through strong relationships with elected officials in the state legislative and executive branches
- Analyze legislation and coordinate with internal stakeholders to address problematic provisions
- Proactively develop action plans and legislative solutions for issues impacting company projects
- Coordinate and manage third-party consultants and lobbyists
- Develop strong relationships with state and local government officials, state agencies, and relevant legislative and agency staff
- Build industry coalitions in support of priorities, work constructively with trade organizations and peer companies
- Collaborate with Federal Affairs on project issues with a federal nexus
- Provide expert testimony to legislative committees
- Host project tours with State and Federal officials
- Participate in political fundraisers
- Prepare regular reports and briefings for internal stakeholders
- 7 – 15 years of lobbying or other relevant experience (e.g. state legislative or executive branch staff member)
- 1 – 2 years of electric industry related experience (utility, trade org, ISO, agency, etc.)
- Must have a basic understanding of the bulk electric power system
- Working knowledge of clean, renewable energy technologies and transmission
- Proven leadership track record and relationships within state government agencies/administration
- Ability to work across the aisle
- Master’s degree preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable in public speaking roles
- Strong critical thinking skills with the ability to identify and solve problems
- Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive and proprietary information
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and re-prioritize assignments as needed
- Proactive and motivated to deliver key business objectives
- Ability to work both independently and within a team context
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with firm deadlines
- Ability to travel extensively during legislative time periods, and as needed during non-legislative time periods, often with little notice
Eligible for medical, dental, vision, 401(k), bonus, paid time off, etc.
Invenergy believes inclusion drives innovation
Diverse teams are better teams. The perspectives and experiences that people from different backgrounds bring to an organization drive better decisions and improved business results. Invenergy employees are inclusive and welcoming of all colleagues of all backgrounds, genders, races, sexual orientations, religions and abilities.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-07-08