Director, Government Affairs – Policy and Administration
Join us for a career with endless possibilities.
Looking for a job where a passion for innovation, a culture of teamwork, and opportunities for growth are valued and rewarded? You’ve come to the right place.
You don’t have to be an airline aficionado to join American Airlines. It takes more than cool planes to keep us ahead of the curve, and thanks to our team of behind the scenes professionals, we do just that. As the largest airline in the world, American Airlines is in the business of serving the global travel needs of our customers. At the core of the Company is our commitment to each customer and each employee. We are dedicated to developing and delivering what our customers value and are willing to pay for. Customer-centric planning, innovative marketing, and an exceptional customer experience are supported by a cadre of talented people.
What does it take to join us? We’re glad you asked! We expect exceptional skills in your discipline and a dedication to being the best as we relentlessly pursue our goal of being not just the largest airline in the world, but also the best airline in the world.
Fortunately, we’re building on almost a century of innovation and firsts in our industry – and we plan to continue that tradition of excellence.
About The Job
American Airlines Global Government Affairs group is seeking a Director, Policy and Administration based in Washington, DC. The Global Government Affairs group is a part of American’s broader Corporate Affairs team and represents the Company before Congress, regulators, and international policymakers.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Liaises with internal and external groups to determine, define, and develop company positions on policy issues across all workgroups impacting the Company before global policymakers at all levels of government
- Executes on policy decisions and advocates for those policies before governmental bodies
- Provides timely updates and analysis to senior Company leaders and other stakeholders with respect to policy development and execution, as well as evolving rules, regulations, and procedures that affect the airline
- Assists in leading American’s internal FAA Re-Authorization Working Group and similar efforts, as required
- Coordinates engagement and policy development on key issues and ensures the production of necessary intellectual capital
- Creates internal and external communications material championing the Company’s policy positions
- Advocates for Company policy positions and seeks associated legislative and regulatory changes to further Company policy priorities
- Participates in industry events on behalf of the Company, including trade association conferences, as well as governmental briefings and industry days
- Assists with a cross-departmental efforts to develop and execute a reputational campaign to improve how the Company is perceived by lawmakers and regulators
- Assists in engaging and managing third party consultants to help support the Company’s priorities
- Identifies opportunities to leverage the American Airlines brand and to increase awareness of the Company’s policy positions
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Advanced degree preferred
- 7+ years of experience on Capitol Hill, in the Executive Branch, or a similar role at a Fortune 500 company
- Proven track record of creativity and flexibility, with a passion for innovation
- Ability to build and facilitate relationships at all levels, both internally and externally
- Ability to exhibit an executive presence and engage government policy makers
- Ability to collaborate with all team members and maintain an open mindset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with ability to effectively and clearly communicate a strategic vision
- Believes in, promotes, and embodies in daily actions the American Airlines five leadership attributes:
- Caring – We care about all team members
- Collaboration – We succeed as a team
- Development – We build future leaders
- Results – We drive to be the best
- Future – We continually challenge the status quo
Additional Locations: None
Requisition ID: 29539
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-05-06