This position presents an opportunity to play a key role in a growth-oriented business that is a global leader in the renewable energy and hydropower industries. This position is ideally suited to a knowledgeable, career-oriented individual seeking a challenging growth opportunity in renewable power.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Government Affairs, the candidate will be responsible for monitoring existing and potential future energy policy developments, as well as establishing and overseeing implementation of strategies to directly influence policy in key Brookfield Renewable jurisdictions within New England. A significant component of the role will involve the formulation and execution of legislative and regulatory advocacy strategies to help advance the interests of our diversified portfolio of hydropower and other renewable assets. The incumbent will either work from our Boston office or remotely at a location within New England, but will be requested to join the Management team in Gatineau, Québec periodically. Regular travel throughout New England will also be required as part of the normal course of business.
- Monitor state legislative activities and related legislative and regulatory filings, assessing potential outcomes and benefits/risks to the organization;
- Advise Brookfield Renewable’s management on the impact of energy policy developments to the business;
- Develop and execute government relations strategies that advance Brookfield Renewable’s business interests;
- Influence energy policy developments through contacts and networking, including direct advocacy with executive, administrative and legislative branches;
- Build coalitions of diverse organizations and individuals to advance legislative priorities;
- Draft filings and interventions for regulatory and legislative proceedings;
- Testify in legislative and regulatory hearings, representing Brookfield Renewable’s interests and point of view;
- Work directly with colleagues in the operations, stakeholder relations, communications, licensing, regulatory, and business development teams to support and advance their objectives within policy and regulatory circles;
- Represent Brookfield on state and regional industry associations and organizations;
- Manage outside government relations counsel as applicable.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and strong negotiation skills;
- Strong political acuity, as well as knowledge of power and environmental markets
- Ability to manage outsourced entities as well as an internal team of professionals;
- Experience working with legislators, regulators, stakeholders and industry advocacy groups;
- Ability to resolve differences and build relationships;
- Experience and demonstrated leadership in project / case management and working on project teams;
- Demonstrated skills in identifying and assessing business threats and opportunities;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to travel 50% of the time.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of experience in energy policy developments, preferably in deregulated power markets and within the U.S. Northeast;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business Administration or Law;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with legislative and government advocacy in core jurisdictions of interest;
- Strong relationships and extensive network with U.S. Northeast market and regulatory stakeholders will be highly valued;
- Willingness to travel in North America.
Learn more here
Job Posted: September 1, 2017