Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director of Government Affairs & Public Engagement
The Director of Government Affairs and Public Engagement will help drive systemic change for animals in the state of Washington. As a key member of Pasado’s Safe Haven’s leadership team, you will be responsible for advocacy and direct lobbying at the state and local levels in support of the organization’s policy priorities. You will lead a team of staff and volunteers to engage strategically with key stakeholders to improve Washington’s animal welfare landscape. You will also manage staff who are primarily responsible for delivering quality, impactful educational content and programming for both adults and youth. All of this work includes an emphasis on promoting plant-based choices in alignment with our mission.
Pasado’s Safe Haven is a non-profit organization working to end animal cruelty through a uniquely comprehensive, 360-degree approach. Not only do we help individual animals who have suffered from cruelty, we are also working to change the systems that impact animals in our society and educate the public about how they can help make the world a better place for animals.
Advocacy and Direct Lobbying
- Lead the development and implementation of state and local policy priorities within Washington state;
- Research, write and present state and local legislation that supports the organization’s defined legislative agenda;
- Analyze relevant legislation and policy proposals to determine alignment with PSH’s legislative agenda and defined animal welfare priorities;
- Lobby relevant stakeholders to advocate for our policy priorities;
- Build, lead and join coalitions of partner organizations to develop and implement policy initiatives and achieve campaign successes that create results for animals;
- Drive targeted local grassroots campaigns that help move the organization’s policy agenda forward;
- Recommend and implement strategies to help grow the organization’s influence in the policy sphere;
- Provide reliable, timely analysis and strategic guidance on animal welfare activities at the national level, recommending meaningful action as appropriate;
- Oversee an advocacy alert system for the dissemination of action alerts for state and local campaigns. Leverage use of platform and enhance functionality;
- Monitor and advocate for the effective implementation of priority laws in alignment with PSH’s policy priorities
- Collaborate with Communications department to develop a marketing and communications strategy that allows community members to understand and support specific legislation or campaigns;
- Oversee organization’s public education initiatives, including public tours/events, youth education programs and other educational initiatives;
- Define and manage to KPIs that help drive maximum impact for educational programming;
- Oversee web-based educational content to ensure the public has access to critical information that can help drive behavior changes
- Supervise a team of internal staff and contract lobbyist;
- Serve as a critical member of the organization’s senior leadership team
- Passionate and unwavering belief in Pasado’s Safe Haven’s mission and strategy to drive systemic change for animals;
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in policy development and advocacy and/or campaigns;
- Proven experience as an effective leader and manager;
- Extensive knowledge of statewide legislative and grassroots campaign processes;
- Experience in animal welfare policy or campaigns is preferred;
- Proven ability to build strong relationships and effective partnerships, as well as demonstrated skill with persuasion and influence is critical;
- Demonstrated commitment to community organizing and ability to work constructively with a variety of partners;
- Ability to deliver, receive, and incorporate direct feedback; effectively and respectfully;
- Professional maturity and integrity, high level of self-direction and sense of urgency;
- Excellent project management skills and ability to juggle multiple and competing priorities;
- Excellent communication skills, especially with regard to making complicated ideas compelling and accessible to the general public;
- Comprehensive analytical, strategic thinking and problem-solving skills with the ability to plan and implement in a demanding, fast-paced environment crucial;
- Hours of work: This is a full-time position working 40 hours per week. Combination of remote and onsite work at our office in Monroe, WA.
- Compensation and benefits: Commensurate with experience. PSH also offers a competitive benefits package, including holidays, increasing PTO, 401(K) matching and a choice of generous health insurance plans.
- Employees working for a non-profit organization, may be eligible to receive Public Service Loan Forgiveness
Visit our website to learn more about Pasado’s Safe Haven!
Pasado’s Safe Haven provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or marital status. At Pasado’s Safe Haven, we believe compassionate action is fundamental to dismantling systems of oppression for all living beings. We courageously live this belief every day through our work to end animal cruelty and our commitment to respect and kindness. We can only be successful by embracing the diversity and power of each individual’s lived experience as we all work together toward an expanded circle of compassion.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-02