Director, Government Affairs and Public Policy – US
Director / Senior Director, Government Affairs and Public Policy – U.S.
BlackBerry – the iconic brand – is now a leading security software and services company. As the Internet of Things has become the next great wave in business transformation, BlackBerry secures over 500M endpoints, including 175M cars. We are leveraging AI and machine learning to deliver innovative solutions in cybersecurity, safety and data privacy, and we are a leader in endpoint security management, encryption, and embedded systems. Our customers include all 7 of the G7 governments, 9 of the top 10 global financial services brands, 9 of the 10 largest automotive OEMs, 23 of the top 25 electric vehicle makers, 8 of the 10 largest aerospace and defense companies, 8 of the 10 largest healthcare companies, and all 5 of the largest media companies. Our mission is “Intelligent Security. Everywhere.”
Director/Senior Director of Government Affairs and Public Policy for the U.S. will be part of our growing Global Government Relations team. The successful candidate will be responsible for bipartisan and bicameral U.S. legislative, regulatory and public policy advocacy. This substantive and entrepreneurial lobbyist role requires significant government relations experience, Congress and federal agency contacts, and a track record of meaningful results in political affairs, public policy, and industry affairs. Cybersecurity policy expertise and a positive, proactive attitude is required; experience in or with the technology sector preferred. This position is located in Washington, D.C. and will report to BlackBerry’s Chief Government Affairs and Public Policy Officer.
- Responsible for U.S. government advocacy strategy and execution.
- Trusted advisor to Blackberry’s Chief Government Affairs and Public Policy Officer.
- Develops and advocates the company’s U.S. legislative, regulatory and public policy positions.
- Identifies and creates U.S. legislative and regulatory opportunities to help realize corporate priorities, supporting and partnering with the company’s business units.
- Leverages extensive government contacts in cybersecurity and IoT (e.g., automotive) to help shape policy outcomes, and develops new government contacts to advance BlackBerry’s interests.
- Advances Congressional relationships and public policy influencing on a bipartisan and bicameral basis: e.g., House Appropriations; Armed Services; Energy and Commerce; Homeland Security; Transportation and Infrastructure; Intelligence; and/or Senate Appropriations; Armed Services; Commerce; Homeland Security; Intelligence.
- Advances relationships to influence public policy at key federal agencies aligned to the company’s interests: e.g., DHS, DOD, DOT, DOE, OMB, GSA, DOC.
- Partners with business units to ensure U.S. public policy agenda aligns to corporate priorities.
- Leads BlackBerry’s engagements in assigned U.S. trade association committees, and seek leadership opportunities in these committees.
- Welcomes challenges as opportunities, with a can-do attitude and solution-oriented mindset.
- Excited to help build a new function for an iconic company in rapidly evolving cybersecurity sector.
- 15+ years of U.S. federal government relations, regulatory affairs and public policy experience.
- Law degree preferred. Master’s Degree in Political Science, Government, History a plus.
- Substantial experience in Corporate government relations a plus.
- Expertise in Cybersecurity policy required, with proven leadership and results on federal policy.
- Expertise in Appropriations, Infrastructure, and Federal Procurement policy a strong plus.
- Expertise in IoT, Automotive Safety & Security, Defense, Transportation, Privacy, AI policy a plus.
- Significant government relations expertise with Congress: House Appropriations; Armed Services; Energy and Commerce; Homeland Security; Transportation and Infrastructure; Intelligence; and/or Senate Appropriations; Armed Services; Commerce; Homeland Security; Intelligence.
- Significant government relations expertise with federal agencies: DHS, DOD, DOT, DOE, OMB, GSA, and/or DOC.
- Ability and enthusiasm to proactively develop and maintain trusted relationships with policymakers in bipartisan and bicameral manner, as well as industry stakeholders and partners.
- Excellent and long-standing reputation for integrity, veracity and discretion. Track record of being highly respected by government contacts, managers, partners and peers.
- Superb communication skills (written and verbal). Proven expertise drafting legislation and persuasive regulatory comments.
- Proactive, strategic thinker, sound judgement, diplomacy and uncompromising ethical standards.
- Solution-oriented, flexible, and collaborative. Excellent business acumen and negotiation skills.
- Strong work ethic and personal accountability. Self-prioritizes and multi-tasks seamlessly.
- Embraces learning and committed to continuous growth, improvement and team-first mentality.
- Results-driven senior policy professional who thrives in a fast-paced environment.
BlackBerry (NYSE: BB; TSX: BB) is a trusted security software and services company that provides enterprises and governments with the technology they need to secure the Internet of Things. Headquartered in Waterloo, Ontario, the company is unwavering in its commitment to safety, cybersecurity and data privacy, and leads in key areas such as artificial intelligence, endpoint security and management, encryption and embedded systems. You couldn’t choose a more exciting time to consider joining us! For more information, visit BlackBerry.com and follow @BlackBerry.
©2021 BlackBerry. All right reserved. BlackBerry® and related trademarks, names, and logos are the property of BlackBerry Limited and are registered and/or used in the U.S. and countries around the world.
It is the policy of BlackBerry to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, alienage or citizenship, status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by law.
EEO Minorities/Females/Protected Veteran/Disabled
BlackBerry strives to create an accessible and inclusive application and selection process and is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to job applicants who may require provisions to participate in the selection process. Should you require an accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or contact our HR department by calling 1-519-888-7465. We will reply to your request as soon as possible.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-06