Director of Government Affairs-Seminole County
Full Job Description
The Orlando Regional REALTOR Association is in the market for a Director of Government Affairs to serve our Seminole County area. The ideal candidate will have a GA background specializing in the Seminole County advocacy efforts. We are looking for a candidate who is self motivated and has a strong attention for serving our community as well as leading our RPAC efforts.
POSITION TITLE: Director of Government Affairs—Seminole County
REPORTS TO: Vice President of Engagement
FUNCTION: Plans, organizes, and directs governmental affairs policies, programs, activities, and events for the Association in coordination with both the National Association of REALTORS® and the State Association. Maintains and nurtures the relationships with local and state government. Legislatively represents and protects Association interests. Manages and administrates local political investment activities and garners annual funds estimated at $500K.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reflect, articulate, and promote the mission, vision, and identity of ORRA in conjunction with the VP of Engagement, support the sales and marketing of ORRA projects, services, and solutions, as well as their subsidiary’s.
- Organize and direct governmental affairs program and activities following the Association’s Strategic Plan, Statement of Policy, and approved budget.
- Works with the State GAD and Federal contact to develop and deliver on the annual fundraising plan that will allow the Association to exceed participation, investment, and major donor goals. Executes the plan and ensures compliance with reporting requirements and state and federal laws.
- Staff liaison to the RPAC Committee. Work with the Government Affairs Team and the Committee Chair to set agendas, invite guest speakers, and educate the committee. Work with the committee to identify political victories to encourage member investments, recognition efforts, local strategies, and develop minutes. Update the committee on goal status, along with federal and state collaborative efforts.
- Work with Candidate Selection Taskforce and/or RPAC Committee to build a candidate support process that includes creating a candidate questionnaire for distribution to candidates, briefing materials for the task force or committee, candidate interviews, and identification process of candidates to support and/or fund.
- Serves as a lobbyist and ensures effective representation of the Association’s public policy positions at the local level.
- Leads analysis of proposed legislative actions, determines the potential impact on the Association and develops issue summaries and policy position recommendations based on legal, political, economic, and regulatory research.
- Monitor and report vacancies in government and provide recommendations regarding appointments.
- Responsible for Identifying REALTOR® registered voters for political and legislative targeting.
- Ensures that the Association meets NAR’s Core Standards advocacy compliance criteria annually.
- Write content for various communication vehicles to help educate the association membership and the general community about the value of RPAC, legislative victories, and supported candidates via a candidate slate sent to members before each election.
- Work with the Manager of Public Relations to educate the membership about RPAC, secure opportunities at association events (e.g., promotion table) to promote RPAC, and encourage investors and major donors.
- Maintain the Association’s Key Contact Programs and monitor issues within the Association’s jurisdictions. In collaboration with the Marketing Communications Department, develop communication strategies, timelines, and materials to effectively communicate with these Key Contacts and our local elected officials.
- Responsible for recruiting and supervising volunteers for department activities and the Association’s advocacy program.
- Lead special projects and performs other duties as assigned by the VP of Engagement.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 5+ years’ managerial experience in Government Affairs, Public Policy, Public Relations, or a similar function is required.
- Possess excellent managerial, supervisory, and planning skills.
- Excellent writing, research, and communication skills and comfortable speaking and presenting to large audiences, including executive leadership.
- The ability to juggle multiple priorities and consistently meet deadlines
- Excellent project management and collaborative skills.
- Have strong research and analytical skills.
- Advanced user of Microsoft Office (word, excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to changes in priorities and remain productive under pressure is required.
- Able to properly motivate, guide, and assist volunteer committees and staff and deal effectively and diplomatically with them.
- Must possess mature judgment, confidentiality, and a high degree of personal organization and initiative.
- A track record of successful advocacy that has led to clear business and policy outcomes.
- Be willing to take advantage of industry and professional learning opportunities to increase her or his knowledge and skill base.
- Fundraising experience required.
- Marketing and graphic design experience desired.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-04-12