Director of Government and Public Affairs
New, high-visibility role ideal for a senior professional with advocacy, PR and communications experience and success.
If you’re a proven government and public affairs professional who combines a knack for building key relationships at all levels of government with a polished public-facing persona and the ability to engage employees and the community with a unified message, the role of Director of Government and Public Affairs with Par Pacific offers a compelling mix of challenge and opportunity. You will:
- Lead Government Affairs for the organization for all Mainland assets and future mergers and acquisitions.
- Join the energy sector and a forward-looking company during an exciting time of innovation and evolution. We are committed to meeting America’s energy needs today and in the future.
- Enjoy the entrepreneurial energy of a strong-growth environment, work with and share ideas and strategy with a talented executive team, support diverse areas of the business from our refineries to retail/convenience locations and more.
- Showcase your skills and runway to advance. We have aggressive growth plans which have and will continue to create advancement opportunities for our proven performers.
- Enjoy a competitive compensation package and comprehensive benefits including insurances, a 401(k) with company match, PTO, retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase plan, educational reimbursement and more.
This could be a great opportunity for someone coming from either the private or public sectors. You will be based in Houston, Texas and travel up to 25%.
To meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Director of Government and Public Affairs opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in a job relevant field such as Public Policy, Law, Political Science, Business Communications, etc.; an advanced degree is a plus
- 8-10+ years of progressive public relations and government affairs experience, including government relations, advocacy, public policy, messaging and communications, and crisis management
- Strong understanding of federal, state and local legislative and regulatory processes, with experience working with federal and state legislators
- Subject matter expertise in relationship building, including a history of success developing strong relationships with key policymakers at all levels of government
- Poise and professionalism working with the public, media and other external organizations
- Senior-level communications skills for internal and external interactions
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with the ability to craft your work for different audiences (i.e. press releases, company-wide memos, etc.)
- The drive and motivation to serve as a senior individual contributor while also working closely with others and influencing strategy
- Oil & Gas industry experience is a plus
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer and General Counsel, as Director of Government and Public Affairs, you will be responsible for leading Par Pacific’s government and public relations strategy, community outreach and communications, as well as internal employee communications. You will interact with a peer covering Hawaii and support our Mainland operations, including assessing issues that are germane to the petroleum/energy industry and adopting government relations strategies to achieve preferred outcomes. You’ll keep your hand on the pulse of the industry, track legislative initiatives and the political climate at all levels of government, and promote Par Pacific as a partner to the community.
Additionally, in the area of Government Affairs, you will:
- Develop Par Pacific’s government relations program, including targeted political engagement strategies on all federal and state initiatives.
- Regularly apprise senior management of political developments and the broader political topography relevant to Par Pacific’s commercial interests.
- Build political capabilities by developing relationships with key public officials, expanding and leading the government relations team, and growing Par Pacific’s political action committee (PAC).
- Develop and expand capabilities to monitor, report, and analyze legislative initiatives at the federal and state levels.
In the area of Public Relations, you will:
- Coordinate with executive and marketing teams across all business lines globally to develop and execute strategic public relations plans for Par Pacific and its business and marketing initiatives, including individual property initiatives, corporate milestones and financial transactions with all written and verbal communications to the media, community and government partners.
- Serve as a proactive and crisis corporate spokesperson with media outlets.
- Work in close coordination with senior executives to ensure all initiatives are consistent across Par Pacific companies.
- Develop relationships with key business and consumer press, manage outside agencies.
- Take a proactive role in issues management, driving story ideas, and creating informative, persuasive and concise multi-channel communications.
- Draft and edit press materials and communications and content for owned channels, including press releases, infographics, op-eds, and web, editorial and social copy and content.
Note: This is an overview of the role and not intended to be an exhaustive description of duties and responsibilities.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-24