Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Relations
The Association of Dental Support Organizations (ADSO) is a non-profit organization comprised of DSO member companies, several association partners and more than 180 industry partners. ADSO represents Dental Support Organizations (DSOs) before the public, policymakers, and the media.
The Director of Government Relations is part of a team of field-based government relations, public affairs agencies, strategic consultants, and external relations colleagues. The Director develops and implements legislative strategies, monitors legislation, and collaborates with stakeholders.
The Director is responsible for initiating and managing a range of government relations, public affairs, and external relations projects to favorable influence the public policy environment in support of ADSO’s objectives.
The Director works closely with the Vice President, Government Relations to determine strategy and execution of plans to interact with government officials, opinion leaders and the public about issues related to ADSO and the industry.
The Director will be responsible for the following activities:
- Coordinate with the Vice President for seamless execution of ADSO initiatives and operational excellence in support of ADSO objectives.
- Direct and execute effective public policy advocacy by working with internal and external business partners to advance strategic objectives that shape the external and internal environment. External partnerships include coalitions, think tanks, policy institutes, interest groups, and trade associations, to develop and advocate shared public interest objectives. Internal partnerships include the association’s committees and functional groups.
- Represent ADSO member companies before state and federal legislators, state executives, and regulatory agencies. Develop, maintain and engage effective, trusted working relationships with elected, appointed, and career government officials at the federal, state, and local level. Travels to attend meetings, hearings, or other events to represent the company.
- Research and analyze existing, emerging and potential public policy issues. Collaborate with ADSO Government Affairs Committee to develop strategic and tactical plans to manage the issues both externally and internally, anticipating and projecting trends, developments, threats and opportunities.
- Monitor legislation, regulation, emerging issues and industry trends where ADSO members have or anticipates having a business engagement. Keep all relevant stakeholders informed of material developments or changes in the environment for the industry, together with analyses of the significance, relevance, meaning and impact of public policy developments and emerging trends.
- Implement a sustained course of action to influence state legislation and regulations and leverage teams of coalitions, lobbyists, strategic consultants, advocacy, professional relations, public affairs, and contractors in each identified state.
- Engage with policy and political non-governmental organizations to advance ADSO mission and goals
- Execution of ADSO government relations and political affairs in a non-partisan and balanced manner that treats major political parties equally, with respect and without preference. Drive annual compliance training for senior executives and member companies.
Qualified candidates will meet the following requirements in order of priority:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Relations, Political Science or related field of study required.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in federal, state, or local government, or for a corporation, trade association, or non-profit organization that develops policy, builds relationships, develops communications and messaging, and executes political strategies.
- Necessary experience and skills include critical thinking in the development of political and public policy analyses, and the provision of strategic counsel.
- Strong understanding of and experience with effective public policy and political advocacy, public affairs programs, and associated campaign management concepts and methods
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, effectively analyzing and assessing opportunities and threats, prioritization of focus, analyzing and anticipating developments as well as emerging trends, threats and opportunities.
- Comfort with ambiguity including the ability to process and synthesize significant amounts of disparate information and intelligence, and to assess and share such.
- Ability to develop an argument and communicate complex topics into an understandable short narrative across a range of interested parties. Strong and effective written and oral communication skills, and the demonstrated ability to lead while seamlessly and collegially partnering with internal and external teammates.
An undergraduate degree in Public Relations, Political Science or related field of study required
A competitive compensation package will be provided to attract an outstanding candidate.
There is approximately 30% domestic travel estimated for this position.
This is a largely sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see and lift small objects up to 15 lbs.
Phone calls will not be accepted. Contact from recruiting agencies will also not be accepted.
This position is open until filled. ADSO is currently looking to fill two individuals in this role.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-01-11