Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director – Government Relations
This position reports to the Executive Director for and Domestic Business Development and Government Relations is responsible for developing and leading government relations as part of AM General’s Corporate Strategy. This position is principally responsible for adding value to the company and its customers by shaping authorization and appropriations bills, legislative measures, and congressional understanding/appreciation of company programs and initiatives across all AM General’s businesses—consistent with established goals, priorities, and metrics. Promoting sustained customer success and satisfaction and maintaining the integrity and high standards of United States Congress and AM General.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Establish and maintain positive working relationships with key senators, representatives, and other staff members of Capitol Hill that strengthen and expand relationships on Capitol Hill and the greater Washington, D.C. political arena to advance the goals and priorities of the company, its business units, and its customers.
- Develop and execute AM General’s congressional and legislative strategies and proactively evaluate the legislative and regulatory environment for potential impact on AM General, LLC especially as it relates to possible opportunities and threats to AM General’s business.
- Consult with appropriate business leaders in making such determinations, providing recommendations for formulation of an action plan and provide advice and guide the political engagement of AM General senior leaders, including voluntary political contributions.
- Administer AM General’s PAC, including developing and executing fundraising campaigns and directing and overseeing distributions from the PAC.
- Oversee and execute all relevant lobbying and fundraising compliance activities and filings in coordination with AM General’s general counsel.
- Provide timely and accurate information on congressional budget, legislative and oversight activities of Department of Defense established Program Objective Memoranda (POM) programs, Research, Development, Testing and Evaluation (RDT&E) programs and other executive branch department/agencies programs using or desiring to use AM General equipment or products.
- Serve as the primary manager to the business unit lobbyists, providing guidance, direction, and support of their efforts to represent the company’s position on budgetary, legislative and regulatory affairs before Members of Congress, their staffs, congressional committees, and military departments legislative affairs divisions.
- Engage, coordinate and integrate the utilization of outside consultants to promote mission success
- Attend hearings, conferences, meetings, and other special events in both Washington, D.C., and in Members’ districts and states, to represent the company as needed.
- Participate in IPTs (integrated program teams) as needed.
- Engage with business units to better understand their programs/products, the needs of internal customers, integrate the capabilities of Government Relations and participate and lead strategy sessions and operational reviews
- Monitor congressional activities in the area of defense policy and acting, as/when appropriate, to ensure AM General’s corporate interests are protected and advanced.
- Facilitate and coordinate Members’ and key staff visits to AM General facilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree (Masters Preferred) with 10 plus years of relevant experience working with Members of Congress and their staffs, particularly those associated with the defense appropriations and authorization committees
- Top-Secret Security Clearance is required.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing high performance teams in a highly matrixed organization and complex environment
- Established and trusted personal network within Congress, Administration, Department of Defense, Agencies, Associations, Think Tanks – the greater Washington D.C. political operational area
- Team player– collaborative, able to work in a team of teams and not worry about credit
- Entrepreneurial operator – a self-starter able to utilize guidance and intent to create opportunities that advance the team and grow revenue.
- Excellent interpersonal skills –diplomatic in complex environments and able to advance goals
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to influence/persuade stakeholders both inside the organization and out.
- Background or affiliation with the Department of Defense
- Experience in the Aerospace and Defense industry
- Understanding of policies, plans and programs of the US
- Experience with the United States Military is a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-05-10