Director of Government Relations
Directs the overall involvement of the organization in government relations. Develops written and verbal communication tools to convey the Company’s legislative concerns and priorities to elected officials. Responsible for the tracking and analyses of legislative initiatives with a main focus on issues affecting the power generation industry. Provides regular reports on potential opportunities and documents legislation affecting company business and policies. This role will report to the Senior Director of Government Relations and work closely with internal business leaders.
2.0 ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop comprehensive strategic departmental plan in coordination with Chief Strategic Officer and the Senior Director of Government Relations
- Provide the business with an analysis of political and legislative issues affecting the business, the power generation industry and energy sector.
- Assist with governmental relations programs, including building contacts, managing the Political Action Committee and grass roots efforts.
- Draft language for legislation, energy plans, and regulatory documents.
- Maintain high level of knowledge on federal governmental political climate.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a plan to build a strong political network for the company. This includes helping the Company to build relationships with elected officials, regulatory agencies and trade associations.
- Provide support for lobbying strategies and grassroots coalition building with our industry partners, with a priority on federal and/or regulatory initiatives.
- Collaborating with external interest groups represented in legislative arenas to develop positive relationships.
- Monitor activities of industry associations and groups, and attend meetings and conferences as needed.
- Perform other related services and tasks as may be requested by the Senior Director of Government Relations.
- Facilitate information and discussion between MHPSA representatives and public officials.
- Ability to efficiently and effectively manage multiple tasks and associated priority levels.
- Exhibits meticulous attention to detail while being committed to producing accurate and high-quality deliverables.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and retain flexibility while maintaining composure under pressure.
- Knowledge and compliance of state and federal ethics and election laws.
- Travel within the United States and in Latin America. 45% Travel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree (BS) is preferred in Political Science but is not necessary from four-year college or university; and ten (10) to twelve (12) years demonstrated experience in government including a robust network of contacts within the federal government, agencies or organizations. Must have the demonstrated ability to direct and internally and externally to build cohesive and collaborative working relationships with a variety of individuals across various organizational levels. An essential skill is the ability to design, develop and effectively present comprehensive written and verbal briefings and reports to management that clearly outline potential impacts and suggested next steps.
- Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from management.
- Reasoning Ability: Strong ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Computer Skills: Knowledge of computer-aided database, project management, spreadsheet and word processing software, electronic mail, graphics, technical diagrams, flow charts, etc.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-10-17