Director, Government Relations
Equipped with strong communication skills, CREFC’s Director, Government Relations will interact with legislators to develop public policy in support of CREFC’s interests. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, this position is responsible for the day-to-day advocacy activities of the organization as it relates to legislative affairs. The Director will work closely with the CREFC policy team and senior leadership to strategically build and promote CREFC’s policy positions and brand to Federal policymakers in the House and the Senate.
Competitive salary and benefits package; salary commensurate with experience.
Salary Range: $75,000 – $125,000.
CRE Finance Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About CRE Finance Council
The CRE Finance Council (CREFC) is the trade association for lenders, investors, and servicers engaged in the $4.2 trillion commercial real estate finance industry. More than 300 companies and 11,000 individuals are members of CREFC. Member firms include commercial banks, insurance companies, private equity funds, mortgage REITs, investment grade and B-piece buyers, servicers and rating agencies, among many others. CREFC promotes capital formation, encouraging commercial real estate finance market efficiency, transparency and liquidity. In addition to its Member Forums, committees and working groups, CREFC acts as a legislative and regulatory advocate for the industry, playing a vital role in setting market standards and providing education for market participants in this key sector of the global economy. For more information please visit our website.
- Ensure that CREFC is the voice for commercial and multifamily real estate finance policy in Washington, DC.
- Monitor legislative and business-related issues impacting CRE finance
- Establish and maintain working relationships with various legislators, including (but not limited to) those in the House Committee on Financial Services, Senate Banking Committee, Congressional leadership, and the Administration
- Develop consensus strategies to advance CREFC’s interests by engaging regularly with member companies, as well as relevant CREFC staff, committees, and Forums
- Promote CREFC’s policies by working with member company representatives, external consultants, and other trade association partners, including the National Real Estate Organizations (NREO)
- Organize the preparation of analytical pieces, including (among others): one-pagers, fact sheets, white papers, comment letters and other correspondence, hearing testimony and related materials, policy updates, alerts, press releases, surveys and other research-specific information
- Respond to congressional inquiries/needs and create opportunities to improve Federal policymakers’ understanding of the industry
- Supports internal and external communication with members, including CREFC’s The Week in Washington publication, press releases, e-blasts, and website information on advocacy and other developing issues
- Lead (in coordination with CREFC’s outside counsel and other policy team members) efforts to educate market participants on the implications of public policy and related market issues
- Assist in the development of an annual PAC plan and fundraising, and represent CREFC at political events
- Minimum of five years of related experience required
- Education: BA/BS or more advanced degree, preferably in political science or communications
- Some experience/knowledge of the financial services and/or commercial and multifamily real estate finance industry
- Thorough knowledge of the Federal legislative processes and procedures
- Experience working with congressional committees focused on financial services issues
- Experience working in a congressional office, for a congressional committee, or for a financial trade association
- Ability to advocate effectively on CREFC policy positions
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex financial institution concepts in brief, pointed conversations with federal policymakers
- Knowledge of fundraising rules and practices
- Excellent verbal communication skills in presenting, influencing, and listening to others
- Superior writing skills
- Effective time management with a proven ability to simultaneously manage multiple assignments, prioritize, and work within deadlines with minimal supervision
- Analytical and creative thinking
Learn more here
Job posted: 2019-11-13