Director, Government Relations
The Government Relations Program Director supports the MAS Region’s government relations interests by serving as the lead representative and primary point of contain for a service area/jurisdiction. This individual will build and leverage relationships with key leaders and agencies to effectively communicate and promote the interests of Kaiser Permanente. This individual is responsible for maintaining current knowledge of key healthcare policy issues, establishing relationships with elected officials, analyzing and reporting out on key updates, developments, and legislation within their service area/jurisdiction, and supporting efforts to craft a KPMAS position on legislation. This individual works closely and collaboratively with leaders and subject matter experts throughout the Health Plan and Delivery System and participates in public policy meetings, industry associations and coalitions and represents KP before local and national organizations involved in public policy and testifies at hearings.
- Supports the development and management of an effective Government Relation’s strategy to protect, promote and enhance the Region’s interests by influencing the relevant legislative and regulatory process, with a particular focus on their service area/jurisdiction. This includes building relationships and developing effective communication channels with key agencies and stakeholders as a means to build partnerships and exert influence.
- Contributes to the tracking, monitoring and analysis of political, legislative and regulatory developments in their service area/jurisdiction to enable timely development of strategy and program involvement when necessary. This includes deep involvement and engagement with key agencies and stakeholders in the regulatory review and response process, with a focus on legislative and regulatory analysis, position development and action plans.
- Supports the direction of the Region’s legislative strategy on HMO and health care related legislation that impacts the MAS Region, in particular within their service area/jurisdiction. Supports the development of legislation on Kaiser Permanente’s behalf and directing and supervising staff lobbying efforts. Contributes to the Government Relation’s Representatives participation in HMO Association and other alliances related to the development of managed care and HMO industry legislation and amendments and other health care legislation of interest to Kaiser Permanente.
Supports and contributes to the lobbying efforts in the relevant jurisdictions to accomplish the health care policy goals of the Program and the business goals of the MAS Region including establishing the MAS Region as a health care leader and one of the solutions to health care reform.
- Collaborates with Regional Legal Executive to ensure alignment with overall legal and regulatory strategy in achieving the Region’s goals. Supports development of proposed legislation, regulations and amendments consistent with those goals.
Provides counsel to management regarding federal and state statutes, regulations, court opinions, administrative procedures and legal proposals.
Prepare arguments, testimony and other materials regarding legislation, regulations and public policy issues.
Represent the Region in government and industry meetings, hearing and other public forums. Collaborates with Program Office efforts concerning participation in the formulation of Federal Health Policy by maintaining relationships with key players and serving as the local staff person to carry out the Program Office strategies. Ensures KPMAS’ strategies are consistent with the other regions’ and with Program Office.
- Works closely and collaboratively with Executive Leadership and subject matter experts throughout the Health Plan and Delivery System to analyze, gain insight into and develop a recommendation for KPMAS’ position on pending legislation.
- Follows internal communication processes for ensuring that key stakeholders and internal experts are informed in a timely manner about important proposed or adopted legislation and regulations and collaborates in strategy and position development or implementation as needed.
- Addresses Government Relations issues before elected and public officials as well as state and county commissions, task forces, etc. that are responsible for HMO and health policy issues that affect the MAS Region.
- Collaborates with Legal, Provider Contracting, MSBD, Community Relations and Public Communications in planning and executing Government Relations strategies in expansion areas.
- Assures good working relationships with key personnel in the legislature, executive branch and supports the activities of Finance, Benefits and Contract Administration, Health Plan and Facility Planning and other Departments that interact with regulatory Agencies.
- Supports development and implementation of communication strategies to inform and educate the Region’s managers and employees about political legislative and regulatory activities and trends that impact the Region. Strategies include an annual report, bulletin, bill analysis, work groups and written and oral updates, and classes.
Supports coordination of the Region’s Government Relation’s strategies with the Program’s Legal, Community Relations, Public Communications and Marketing strategies. Negotiates and supervises contractual arrangements with contract lobbyists, attorneys and consultants for special projects such as Certificates of Public Need Applications. Contributes to the Region’s performance and strategic objectives through effective management of financial resources.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum six (6) years in Government Relations field.
- Master’s degree in health policy or related field or Juris Doctor degree OR two (2) years of experience such as legislative or regulatory staff/management.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Driver’s license.
- Lobbying registration required or must be achieved within six (6) months of hire – Maryland, Virginia, District of Columbia and/or counties as needed.
- Extensive knowledge of HMO statutes and regulations and understanding of related health care, insurance and health service plan laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of Federal HMO statutes and familiarity with Medicare, Federal Employees Health Benefit Program or Medicaid is helpful.
- Knowledge of HMO operations particularly benefits; finance and health care delivery is useful.
- Must be familiar with legal principles related to legislative and regulatory process, political science, management principles, health care policy, insurance principles, communications strategies, media and community service.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a wide range of elected and public officials and a wide range of contacts outside and inside of the Program.
- Demonstrated personal skills in influencing people, selling ideas, and building alliances, establishing the program’s credibility.
- Ability to master complex statutes and regulations and develop creative solutions to problems and issues taking into consideration the legal requirements, program positions (local and national), political environment and business goals of the Region.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgement.
- Ability to juggle multiple and sometimes conflicting priorities and meet multiple time demands.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise substantial independent judgment under policy guidelines with regard to government relations and other legal matters.
- Master’s degree in health policy or related field or Juris Doctor degree preferred.
- Will cover the Virginia market.
- Travel to Richmond
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-26