Director, Government Relations
Job ID R101916Updated date 10/21/2020
McLean 2 (19052), United States of America, McLean, VirginiaDirector, Government RelationsThe Director, Government Relations will monitor congressional and federal agencies for issues that impact the company ranging from tax, to regulatory structure and capital, to consumer, among other policy issues. This individual will educate and lobby members of Congress, their staff and Administration officials to ensure the company’s voice is heard in the legislative process as well as coordinate and direct the efforts of our trade associations on these issues. This role will also communicate with business units to ensure they are informed of government actions impacting the aforementioned issues and that the associate and team fully understands how these government actions could impact the company. The Director will be responsible for effectively utilizing the company Associate’s Political Fund in support of candidates that support our issues.
- Develop relationships with key elected and government officials as well as industry trade associations and other lobbyists with similar issues. Advance Capital One’s interests through advocacy and strategy at the federal levels.
- Monitor legislative and administrative activities in key issue areas. Interact with government officials on public policy issues to achieve the best possible result.
- Work with trade groups or other cross-functional groups on industry issues. Educate and influence the legislative and regulatory process as necessary to effectuate a positive result.
- Advance and support the role of the Government and Policy Affairs Group and the importance of public policy issues with Capital One’s associate base including presentations, panels and written communications.
- Work with Capital One lines of business, associate Business Resource Groups (BRGs) and other key stakeholders as needed to support Capital One’s business objectives.
- Attend events in support of legislative candidates.
- Support Capital One’s compliance with federal laws in monitoring newly enacted legislation and participating in the related internal processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 5 years of experience in public policy work at either the state or federal level working for an elected official, government agency, trade association, company or a combination including experience in lobbying, political campaigns, press or fundraising.
- Master’s degree or Law Degree
- 10+ years of experience in public policy work at either the state or federal level; the experience can be working for an elected official, government agency, trade association, company or a combination, including experience in lobbying, political campaigns, press or fundraising.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One’s recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).
Who We Are
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-10-22