Director – Government Relations
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Strategic Operations (StratOps) Strategic Support Unit, consists of Washington DC Operations, Marketing & Communications and Strategic Development. The StratOps team promotes and elevates the business within our markets, works with customers and competition to influence and drive the growth of Ball Aerospace and facilitates collaboration across the business enterprise to increase opportunities.
Director – Government Relations
We are currently recruiting for a Director of Government Relations for the Ball Aerospace Strategic Operations (StratOps) organization located in the Washington, D.C. area. The Director will advocate for Ball defense and intelligence programs with Members of Congress, committees of both the House of Representatives and the Senate, and the Executive Branch.
This position reports to the Vice President of Strategic Operations. The reporting location for the position is Arlington, VA.
StratOps works collaboratively across Ball Aerospace and our stakeholder communities to increase Ball Aerospace’s profile and educate customers on the company’s capabilities and discriminating technologies. StratOps strategically positions the company within our markets by partnering with customers while developing a firm understanding of Ball’s competition with the objective of facilitating collaboration across the company and ultimately drive smart growth. Strategic Operations supports Ball Aerospace as a whole.
What You’ll Do:
- Work closely with StratOps counterparts, appropriate business unit leaders, program managers, and business development teams to help devise and implement strategies to meet company and Strategic Business Unit (SBU) goals and objectives, support strategic planning and proposal and pursuit strategies.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Unit/Strategic Support Unit and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment consistent with Ball’s culture.
- Ensure coordination of messaging in and out of StratOps and business teams, consistent with company and business goals.
- Serve as integrated team member of defense and intelligence business unit teams, for development and execution of strategies.
- Generate and sustain enduring relationships with key committee staff and Members of Congress (especially relevant program/account monitors) and relevant personal office staff.
- Help devise and implement Ball Aerospace Government Relations’ strategies consistent with the Ball Aerospace strategic plan and with awareness of Ball Corporate priorities.
- Coordinate strategies and activities with primes’ and partners’ outreach activities.
- Demonstrate an ability to anticipate, understand, react, shape and influence Congressional actions that impact the company’s interests.
- Prepare senior leadership for meetings with Members of Congress and key Committee staff.
- Prepare advocacy strategy and action plans to advance Ball Aerospace program and policy initiatives.
- Represent Ball Aerospace at political fundraisers, industry and trade association events.
- Participate in developing and executing the Ball Political Action Committee (BallPAC) plan.
- Prepare and advance hearing questions and questions for the record centered on Ball Aerospace priorities.
- Develop/lead internal advocacy teams.
- Manage consultants as required.
- Be a thought leader in the community, including engaging in industry association activities and participating in events of interest to Ball.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA in a related field plus 15 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e. Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Two years of related experience may be substituted for each year of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Political Science, Public Policy or related field preferred.
- 10 years’ experience in legislative affairs at the federal level preferred.
- Experience working on Capitol Hill for a defense or intelligence-related committee is preferred; relevant industry experience is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of the defense and intelligence authorization and appropriations budget process.
- A strong background and experience working with the defense and intelligence community.
- Demonstrated excellent leadership and interpersonal skills in relevant business environments with collaboration skills.
- Effective in working with people at all levels of an organization and willing to contribute wherever needed, providing leadership to operational activities as well as senior executives.
- Diplomacy, influencing, communication and team skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Only applicants with an active TS/SCI will be considered.
- Work is performed in an office environment.
- Some early morning and evening hours for work-related functions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball Aerospace campuses in the Washington DC area and between other locations will be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $171,000 – $236,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- Subject to business performance and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in an incentive compensation plan.
- Subject to business and individual performance, and recommendations of management, this role may be eligible to participate in a long-term incentive compensation plan.
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-12-31