Director Government Relations
Director Government Relations (Sylvamo)
Date: May 24, 2021
In December 2020, International Paper announced plans to spin-off the company’s global Printing Papers business into a standalone, publicly traded, global company with a singular focus on uncoated freesheet. The name of the new company will be Sylvamo Corporation. The word Sylvamo was formed by using the Latin words for forest, “silva,” and love, “amo.” We translate this unique combination as “love of forests.”
Sylvamo aims to improve people’s lives, the planet and our company’s performance by transforming renewable resources into recyclable papers that people depend on every day for education, communication and entertainment.
Sylvamo will employ approximately 7,500 employees globally and have operations in Europe, Latin America and North America.
The proposed Printing Papers spin-off is subject to customary conditions, including final approval by the International Paper Board of Directors. The spin-off is expected to be completed later this year.
“This position is currently located in the IP organization, assigned to the Sylvamo project, and will be transferred to the Sylvamo organization contingent upon the closing of the transaction estimated to occur 10/1/2021.”
The Director of Government Relations will work closely with the Vice President of Global Government Affairs and senior leaders to develop and implement the corporation’s federal and state public policy initiatives. The position will direct the company’s interaction with federal and state (specifically SC and NY) government entities and corporate interests on government policies and initiatives to assure appropriate action is taken to advance the Company’s interest on priority issues.
- Deliver public policy outcomes that enhance the company’s ROI.
- Maintain two-way communications with public officials including legislative and regulatory officials at the federal and state (NY and SC) level, identify public policy actions impacting the Company’s business activities and advocate support of public policy positions advancing the Company’s interests.
- Develop educational opportunities for federal legislators and their staff highlighting the industry accomplishments.
- Track, analyze and report on federal and state legislative activities.
- Alert business managers of public policy actions which could affect their business activities and coordinate the development of Company information and strategic position on public policy issues.
- Prepare regular internal reports highlighting public policy accomplishments and outcomes including ROI. Be able to demonstrate government affairs value.
- Represent the Company within industry and governmental policy organizations and advance the company’s interests in developing and implementing public policy initiatives.
- Develop and maintain leadership position on behalf of the Company within the business government relations community and to promote a positive corporate image among U.S., NY and SC stakeholders.
- Design and coordinate grassroots activities in support of Company positions. Manage regular communication with employees to keep employees current on federal and state public policy issues and Company positions on those issues, and encourage employees’ active participation in public policy activities.
- The position will be based in Washington, D.C. and some travel will be required
Skills and Experience:
- 7-10 years’ experience in governmental relations (federal or state) management is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, as a minimum.
- Excellent teamwork and interpersonal skills; ability to maintain positive rapport with co-workers and others
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state legislative process
- Ability to develop strategy for policy success
- Excellent communication skills in negotiating, writing, editing and public presentation
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to develop strategy and solutions
- Strong organizational and project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple responsibilities with high quality execution and performance
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion with initiative, and limited supervision
- Decisive individual with a proven record of successful prioritization exercises/results is required.
- Ability to coordinate input from multiple parties with diverse interest is a must.
- Strong organizational skills are required, as well as a proven record of successful issue management.
- Familiarity with manufacturing is a plus.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and exercise discretion in sensitive AF&PA matters and on policy and market
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Action oriented
- Business acumen
- Customer focus
- Interpersonal savvy
- Managing and measuring work
- Political Savvy
- Results Driven
International Paper is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Applicants should apply using the link: https://jobs.
Job posted: 2021-05-24