Director of Government Relations
This position provides technical advice and assists in developing strategic outreach and communication plans to advocate and gain support for Cooperative Energy’s priorities, legislative and regulatory proposals and utility projects to a wide range of internal and external audiences. This position plays a key role in assisting Executive leadership (including Board of Directors) in development of Cooperative Energy’s strategic direction on policy issues.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as coordinator between technical subject matter experts, communicators, and senior management to develop Cooperative Energy’s position on issues as well as messaging, statements and communications plans to internal and external audiences.
- Reviews and analyzes legislative and regulatory issues and prepares an analysis of the impact of proposed legislation and regulations to ensure the Executive leadership is made aware of issues and challenges which may impact Cooperative Energy.
- Represents Cooperative Energy, on assigned projects, at public meetings and hearings of regulatory bodies who formulate regulations or policies which are of interest to Cooperative Energy (i.e. MS Public Service Commission, MS Dept. of Environmental Quality, and Environmental Protection Agency).
- Assists in developing comments and testimony before regulatory board/committee, on assigned projects, and may serve as a witness, if needed.
- Maintains relationships and acts as a key resource for Member communicators including providing information on activities of Cooperative Energy and assisting in the development of messages by Member Systems where input of Cooperative Energy is necessary.
- Interfaces with outside subject matter expert legal resources to assist in the development of legal strategies to address these concerns and coordinate Cooperative Energy’s strategy and response to significant initiatives.
- Provides assistance and support to Cooperative Energy’s Economic Develop group.
- Develops and manages section’s budget.
- Oversees events and projects related to Cooperative Energy’s government and public affairs efforts.
- Keeps abreast of current trends, practices and development in the electric utility industry.
- Conduct certain lobbying activities for Cooperative Energy and serves as primary point of contact with both federal and state legislators.
- Bachelor’s Degree Public Policy Or
- Bachelor’s Degree Business Administration
- 5 years Electric Utility Industry, Legislative Work, and/or Strategic Development
Certifications and Licensures:
- Successfully pass a security sensitive background screening. Required
- Valid Driver’s License
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:
- Extensive knowledge, understanding and application of electric utility generation, transmission, distribution and electric energy end use.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable policies and local, state and federal laws and regulations impacting areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct policy, and/or technical analyses and research using a variety of methods, qualitative information and quantitative data to generate conclusions and recommendations.
- Technical writing experience covering regulatory issues and preparing documents such as technical reports, legislative analyses, and other written work products that are organized in a logical manner, clear, concise, and understandable.
- Oral communications experience, providing presentations to decision makers, legislators, or program committee meetings.
- Demonstrates ability to effectively work with others in a team environment as well as independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to handle sensitive information in a confidential and professional manner.
- Proficient in general computer skills and Microsoft Office applications including Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
Cooperative Energy is an equal opportunity employer. It is Cooperative Energy’s policy to provide equal opportunity to all qualified persons, regardless of race, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, veteran status or disability.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-06-09