Director of Government Relations
About TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank®
TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 8 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services at approximately 1,300 convenient locations throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Metro D.C., the Carolinas and Florida. In addition, TD Bank and its subsidiaries offer customized private banking and wealth management services through TD Wealth®, and vehicle financing and dealer commercial services through TD Auto Finance. TD Bank is headquartered in Cherry Hill, N.J. To learn more, visit www.tdbank.com. Find TD Bank on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TDBank and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TDBank_US.
TD Bank, America’s Most Convenient Bank, is a member of TD Bank Group and a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank of Toronto, Canada, a top 10 financial services company in North America. The Toronto-Dominion Bank trades on the New York and Toronto stock exchanges under the ticker symbol “TD”. To learn more, visit www.td.com.
The Director of Government Relations, working with the Head of Government Relations, will participate in the management of TD Bank’s government relations activities, which include issues management and analysis, and advocacy activities with US government official at all levels- federal, state and local; and, help provide oversight and direction of the corporations activities in the political and public policy areas. Government Relations is responsible for creating and implementing an enterprise-wide operational framework for managing TD Bank’s relationships with government officials elected and appointed at the Federal, State and Local levels. Working with the office of Regulatory Relationships and Government Relations, Government Relations is a key element in integrating these activities within and among TD business and functional groups. The job establishes strategy, tactics and communication protocols between TD Bank and government officials in all jurisdictions, internally collaborates to identify and manage issues that arise in the US Congress, Federal Executive Branch as well as in state legislatures and municipalities; helps create and manage relationships between TD leaders (e.g. CEO, CFO, CCO) and government officials; and, helps coordinate interaction with Bank executives and government officials.
• Represents the interests of TD Bank and coordinates in developing industry and company positions with federal regulatory and legislative bodies as well as national trade associations
• Builds internal networks for a holistic approach to government relations, including Community Relations, Corporate and Public Affairs, Legal and Compliance
• Works closely with the heads of various business lines and advises senior officers in the company on public policy issues of interest and concern to the Bank
• Liaises with internal and external stakeholders, conducting research and analysis of government related issues, supporting preparation and delivery of materials, coordinating communication efforts, anticipating and managing short term and longer-term objectives/outcomes, as well as providing general administrative support
• Supports the planning and execution of a broad and diverse portfolio of activities, coordinating with a variety of internal stakeholders
• Provides necessary research, analysis for planning and decision making
• Provides administrative support necessary to perform responsibilities, including scheduling, document preparation, correspondence, coordination of activities, etc.
• Develops and maintains strong working relationships with business heads and partners across the organization
• Supports development and tracking of milestones and other performance management tools and processes – provides summary reports on progress for executive review and consideration
• Undertakes and completes a variety of projects and initiatives – often of a highly sensitive nature, and usually with minimal guidance or direction, ensuring discretion and ability to see items through to resolution/completion
• Enhances TD Bank’s presence in Washington and creates a national platform on which the company’s positions can be articulated
• Represents TD Bank before Congress, the Administration and other related organizations on issues related to the company’s business, advocating outcomes sought by the organization
• Builds strategic alliance and partnerships with third party public policy groups
• Exhibits significant political acumen and established bi-partisan contacts with Members of Congress and congressional staff, and executive branch officials: relationships with members and staff of the House Financial Services and Senate Banking Committees
• Establishes and maintains a sophisticated network within the Administration and on Capitol Hill
• Serves as a proactive strategic agent on behalf of TD Bank’s interests and helps set the legislative and regulatory agendas
• Advises senior officers on matters relating to federal legislation and public policy issues of interest and concern to TD Bank, interacting with members of Congress, Executive Branch officials and associations involved in such matters
• Cooperates in the development and management of TD Bank’s PAC
• Helps establish and maintain a grass-roots political network and represent TD Bank’s interests in ongoing face-to-face meetings with policymakers, advising them directly on specific legislative proposals and decisions affecting the company
• Advises TD Bank executives on the impact of public policy issues and matters under consideration
- Must be eligible for employment under regulatory standards applicable to the position.
• 4 year degree or equivalent experience
• 5+ years of experience as a Government Relations executive with a major multinational organization, a congressional staff member, or as a senior public servant in a relevant business or government department or agency
• Excellent verbal and written communication ability
• Demonstrates understanding of governmental operations at Federal, State and Local levels
• Demonstrates effective planner and communicator with the highest level of integrity, excellent judgment and discretion, and demonstrated understanding of the workings of government at all levels in the US
• Demonstrates flexibility with the ability to effectively function in a dynamic environment, including balancing analytical and advocacy
• Thorough understanding of US congressional and Executive Branch policy-making processes, including an understanding of the U.S. regulatory structure as well as the roles and decision points in the Executive agencies, The White House, the Senate and the House, as well as the role of think tanks, associations and related organizations; Sophisticated understanding of the interrelationship between the legislative process and the US political process
• In-depth understanding of compliance laws regulating political activity
• Demonstrated experience in managing consultants and advising senior-level corporate executives
• A successful track record in accomplishing major legislative policy agendas
• Established coalition building skills
• Demonstrated ability to research and analyze issues related to governmental actions and proposals
• Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with a broad range of government officials at all levels
• Demonstrated ability to provide administrative support in an environment that requires specialized knowledge and understanding of governmental functions
• Organizational awareness and resourcefulness – understanding of whom to engage in order to identify solutions and resolve issues
• High degree of personal integrity in order to recognize and manage access to sensitive information about the Bank, our strategy, results, people and issues being addressed
• Superior communication skills professional, confident, transparent and concise communicator (verbal and written)
• Excellent judgment, relationship management skills, impact and influence capability
At TD, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees and customers feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our customers and communities in which we live in and serve, and creating an environment where every employee has the opportunity to reach their potential.
If you are a candidate with a disability and need an accommodation to complete the application process, email the TD Bank US Workplace Accommodations Program at USWAPTDO@td.com . Include your full name, best way to reach you, and the accommodation needed to assist you with the application process.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2021-07-28