Director, Government Relations
IFDA is hiring! Are you looking to put your advocacy skills to work to support a growing and dynamic industry that makes dining out possible?
The International Foodservice Distributors Association is seeking a Director, Government Relations who will represent the interests of the foodservice distribution industry before Congress and federal agencies and will be responsible for managing activities within the Government Relations department, including grassroots engagement and IFDAPAC fundraising and compliance. We seek an individual who has in-depth knowledge of the legislative and regulatory processes, is energetic and a self-starter, and can manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Work with VP, Government Relations to implement advocacy strategies with Congress and federal agencies to advance legislative and regulatory policies that are favorable for the foodservice distribution industry
- Develop and manage a successful grassroots program that increases IFDA member engagement on key issues at the federal level
- Track federal and state government actions that could impact foodservice distributors and keep IFDA members informed
- Manage IFDAPAC, including maintaining IFDAPAC records, filing reports, and ensuring proper FEC compliance
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain contacts with congressional and committee staff, federal agencies, and representatives of allied trade associations
- Work with communications team to draft materials, including issue summaries, fact sheets, letters, and talking points in support of IFDA’s government relations priorities
- Support IFDA-led coalition activities and represent IFDA at various coalition meetings, as necessary
- Assist in planning and executing the IFDA Washington Insight and Advocacy Conference, including scheduling meetings for IFDA member companies with lawmakers and attending meetings, as necessary
- Assemble content for and communicate with IFDA member companies through the Daily Update, Federal Insight, and other association communications vehicles
- Coordinate IFDA member facility tours for elected officials
- Assist in IFDAPAC fundraising efforts, attend fundraisers and other political events on behalf of the association, and lead marketing efforts
- Assist in planning and executing association committee meetings staffed by the Government Relations department and attend meetings, as necessary
- Serve as a resource to IFDA members and staff, including responding to government relations inquiries
No direct supervisory responsibility.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- In-depth knowledge of, and experience with, the legislative and regulatory processes
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Exceptional project management skills, including attention to detail
- Sense of urgency and responsibility concerning projects and activities
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Ability to manage time and multitask effectively
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8-10 years of government relations experience
- Experience on Capitol Hill is preferred.
Up to 50% of time is spent out of the office on Capitol Hill and downtown Washington. Overnight travel is up to 15%.
IFDA offers competitive salary and an excellent benefits package including health and dental coverage, life insurance, short term and long term disability insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, profit sharing plan, vacation, personal and sick leave, and flexible office hours. Our office is located near Tysons Galleria in McLean, VA. We have a dedicated staff of 18 working in a professional and pleasant work environment.
To be considered for this position, please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
IFDA is the premier trade association for the $300 billion foodservice distribution industry. IFDA contributes to the growth, development, and success of the foodservice distribution industry through our outstanding advocacy, events, research, and education. We exist to help our members succeed! For additional information regarding our association, please visit www.ifdaonline.org.
Job posted: 2021-09-14