Director of Government Relations
The National Association of Dental Plans (NADP) is seeking a Director of Government Relations who will oversee the department charged with executing state and federal government relations efforts on behalf of NADP members. This position reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for identifying and responding to key public policy challenges and advancing advocacy priorities at the state and federal levels.
- In collaboration with internal GR team and direct reports, monitor, track and review proposed legislation and regulation, review compliance impacts and prospects of adoption, and determine the appropriate courses of action
- Develop and deliver education and testimony for legislators and administrative agencies including U.S. Congress, state legislatures and Departments of Insurance, Healthcare Exchanges, and HHS
- Represent the dental benefits industry before national organizations such as the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) and manage collaborative relationships with partners at other national associations
- Coordinate with NADP membership, workgroup volunteers and research department to develop policy positions and corresponding advocacy materials including position papers, letters, testimony, talking points, infographics, media, etc.
- Manage external public affairs vendor agreements, contract lobbyists and internal GR staff
- With PAC Treasurer/Executive Director, manage the NADP Political Action Committee (PAC) including preparing reports and developing fundraising and disbursement strategies
- Create and manage Departmental budget to ensure that organizational resources are strategically allocated to meet policy platform initiatives
- 6+ years’ experience in government relations with a corporation or trade association; experience managing a policy function at the federal level preferred
- Bachelor’s degree; advanced degree preferred (e.g., Master’s or Juris Doctor)
- Understanding of federal policy making processes, including the functions of Congress and federal agencies (e.g., Department of Health and Human Services (HHS); Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS))
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to develop and maintain relationships with staff, members, volunteers, stakeholders, and industry partners
- Persuasive written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and research proficiency
- Demonstrated capacity for strategic thinking and planning
- Experience as a team leader or supervisor
- Willingness to travel (potential for 35 days of overnight travel per year)
NADP is headquartered in Dallas, Texas, and maintains a 2-3 days per week telework policy after an initial 90-day trial period. All employees are working remotely during COVID, but preference will be given to those within a reasonable commuting distance to NADP’s office located in Dallas, Texas.
NADP salaries are currently benchmarked to the median of ASAE data for trade organizations of similar budget and staff sizes with national scope. In addition to salary, there is potential for up to a 10% annual bonus based on performance. NADP also provides an annual benefit stipend of $10,440 toward based on health/dental/vision premiums of NADP offered coverage and an employer matching contribution up to 5% of salary deferral into self-directed 401K.
NADP provides 7 holidays and 2 personal days with pay each year; 10 days of paid vacation (increases to 15 days with 10 years of employment); and one day of sick leave each month (can accrue to 240-hour maximum). Tuition assistance for position related course work is also provided. For candidates located in the Dallas, TX region, covered parking and use of gym in headquarters building is available.
The National Association of Dental Plans (NADP) is the trade association representing the dental benefits industry. NADP members provide dental benefits products to over 200 million Americans and include the entire spectrum of dental carriers: companies that provide both medical and dental coverage, companies that provide only dental coverage, major national carriers, regional, and single state companies, as well as companies organized as non-profit plans.
Job posted: 2021-11-16