Director, Government Relations – Federal and State
Opportunity at a Glance
Adtalem Global Education is actively seeking a self driven, highly motivated professional with proven experience in government relations at the federal and state level to join their team in a remote capacity residing in the Washington, D.C. area.
This position reports to Adtalem Global Education’s Senior Director of Government Relations (GR) and has primary responsibility for leading and directing Adtalem’s U.S. federal and state government relations strategy, and will serve as the primary liaison between Adtalem and federal and state governments. This position partners closely with Adtalem institution and company leadership to develop a proactive strategy to advance reputation, and to optimize government and other national and state partnerships, business operations and growth strategy. The Director provides expertise and support to Adtalem institutions and companies to advance public policy in support of Adtalem federal and state priorities. This position also directs and governs the ATGE political action committee (PAC) strategy and the lobbying disclosure reporting and adherence to federal compliance. Position is based in Washington, DC.
- Develops and directs Adtalem’s national and state government relations strategy to advance policies positive for Adtalem including issue scoping; policy formulation; stakeholder mapping; coalition building; and management of advocacy campaigns.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports legislative and other policy proposals relevant to Adtalem and recommends positions to advance agenda.
- Drafts legislation, amendments, report language and correspondence to the federal/state governments.
- Works closely with the Senior Director of GR to direct and manage federal and state lobbyist consultants.
- Develops and delivers on policy and public relations objectives to advance legislative agenda and reputation.
- Coaches and develops colleagues to successfully execute the government relations strategy.
- Conducts research on policies to ensure that key stakeholders are notified of trends that may impact the company and develop tools to communicate these policies to internal and external stakeholders.
- Directs and manages the ATGE PAC strategy and governance and the lobbying disclosure reporting and compliance.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and communicates effectively on legislative priorities and efforts; collaborates across verticals to achieve results.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
Critical features of this job are described under Essential Duties and Responsibilities. They may be, however, subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons.
- Undergraduate degree required; master’s degree or international equivalent preferred.
- Seven to ten years’ experience in U.S. federal/state government relations, preferably in the education and financial sectors.
- Proven people leadership and management skills, with strengths in development of talent and retention.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, effectively assessing risk and anticipating emerging trends, threats and opportunities.
- Comfort with ambiguity including ability to process and synthesize significant amounts of disparate information and intelligence, and share this analysis in a clear, timely and actionable manner.
- Politically savvy with ability to build strong partnerships across company and externally.
- Extensive network of professional contacts in the U.S. federal/state government.
- Works well under pressure in an extremely fast-paced environment; possess a strong work ethic and stamina.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Contributes to a culture of innovation and exemplary performance.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
Who We Are
Job posted: 2020-10-07