Director, Government Relations & Public Affairs
In coordination with the Board of Directors and State Affiliates, this position is responsible for developing and implementing legislative and regulatory strategies as well as public policy objectives. The Vice-President, Government Relations and Public Affairs represents the Motorcycle Riders Foundation (MRF) and its policies and positions before elected officials, congressional staff, regulatory agencies and the Administration. In addition, this position will oversee the development of communications and outreach strategies to external stakeholders including the media, industry partners, and current and prospective members.
Role & Responsibilities
- Provide strategic counsel to the Board of Directors, State Affiliates and other MRF leadership concerning legislative, regulatory and public policy objectives as they relate to motorcycles, motorcycle safety, highway and transit policy and environmental issues under the Clean Air Act
- Advance the agreed-upon public policy and legislative/regulatory strategies in a nonpartisan manner
- Ensure members and affiliates are receiving regular updates on the current state of affairs at the federal level highlighting positive or concerning legislation, regulation, or emerging issues
- Strive to grow new relationships on behalf of the MRF including, but not limited to, elected officials and staff, agency personnel, potential and current state motorcycle riders’ association members, and other key industry safety and media stakeholders
- Develop and maintain trusted working relationships with Congressional Leadership, Motorcycle Caucus and Committee Staff
- Support the activity of the Political Action Committee (PAC) through establishing an annual plan for campaign contributions that serve the Association’s public policy goals, aid in developing and managing internal PAC campaigns among approved members and ensure PAC compliance with campaign finance and political giving regulations including complete, accurate and timely reporting
- Serve as the spokesperson of the MRF responding to media inquiries, speaking at conferences and events, participating in panels on key issues and other venues as needed
- Work in close collaboration with allied industry stakeholders including trade associations, member associations, corporations and the media
- Encourage, inspire and boost grassroots participation as necessary to advance public policy objectives while developing new activists and identifying future potential champions
- 8-10 years of government relations experience responsible for policy development, direct lobbying and advocacy and working with regulatory agencies, elected officials and staff
- Thorough understanding of and experience with federal legislative and regulatory processes
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to self-motivate and work independently to prioritize and work complex issues while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to communicate complex legislative and procedural considerations and concepts in an effective manner for nonpolitical parties
- Established coalition building skills
- Media relations experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in related field required
- Knowledge of motorcycles and an “M” endorsement preferred, but not required
The Motorcycle Riders Foundation provides leadership at the federal level for states’ motorcyclists’ rights organizations as well as motorcycle clubs and individual riders. The MRF is chiefly concerned with issues at the national and international levels that impact the freedom and safety of American street motorcyclists. The MRF is committed to being a national advocate for the advancement of motorcycling and its associated lifestyle and works in conjunction with its partners to help educate elected officials and policymakers in Washington and beyond.
To apply, please submit a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org No calls.
Job posted: 2019-01-05