Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director, Government Relations & Stakeholder Engagement
The Director of Government Relations & Stakeholder Engagement will be a key player in developing and implementing Tractor Supply’s government relations and public policy strategies to advance the company’s long term business interests. This role will work cross-functionally throughout the company to manage a portfolio of key issues at the state and local levels as well as nationally. The role will represent Tractor Supply to all elected officials and government agencies and regulatory bodies, addressing issues from licensing, store permitting and well pet care to credit card interchange, taxes, supply chain, labor, and trade. Represent Tractor Supply with state and federal retail and other trade associations. Create, grow, participate in, and maintain diverse coalitions in support of policy issues and business priorities. Develop and creatively implement strategic plans often with limited traditional resources to advocate for business priorities. Build support with external and internal stakeholders. This role will work collaboratively with relevant internal business, public relations, community foundation and legal teams to ensure alignment between business priorities and public policy goals
LOCATION: Washington, DC | Nashville, TN OR would consider near state capitals of Austin, Sacramento, Tallahassee. May consider other locations as well. If not located in Nashville role will be remote with travel as needed.
- Build and maintain relationships on behalf of Tractor Supply with key stakeholders at the state, local and federal levels who have the ability to impact and influence the company’s business priorities.
- Cultivate, maintain, and engage trusted relationships directly with key officials including Mayors, County Commissioners, Planning Boards, State Legislators, Governors, Senators, Representatives, and officials working in the executive branch and independent agencies.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of legislation, emerging issues, and industry trends, ensuring the Vice President Government Affairs and relevant stakeholders throughout the company are informed with analyses of the significance, relevance, and business impact of these developments in a timely manner.
- Monitor, track and analyze proposed legislation and administrative actions, assess the potential impact on the company and formulate appropriate responses, if necessary
- Draft policy communications on key legislative and regulatory issues, including executive briefing memos, white papers, presentations, and agency comment letters. Create internal newsletters to showcase work of government relations team.
- Develop and deploy grassroots lobbying tactics to support Tractor Supply’s public policy objectives, while also leveraging national and local political organizations to strengthen relationships with key stakeholders and deepen policymaker understanding of Tractor Supply’s benefit to local economies.
- Develop and execute fundraising activities to increase PAC participation and excitement.
- Develop and implement strategies (sometimes traditional, sometimes out of the box) to advocate for Out Here Lifestyle policies.
- Host visits of elected officials to stores and Distribution Centers.
- Build and implement a company-wide grassroots network – Grassroots Out Here (GROH).
- Other administrative tasks to support department as needed.
Experience: 9+ years of government, political, policy, legislative, campaign public policy experience. Strong working understanding of the state, local and federal policymaking process, and government relations. Proven track record of relationship building
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business, political science, communications, from accredited university required. Advanced degree a plus.
Other knowledge, skills, or abilities:
- Excellent written, presentation and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to be both a substantive issue expert on policy matters related to Tractor Supply’s business and be able to explain complex issues clearly and quickly for all to understand.
- Developing creative, non-traditional solutions to legislative and regulatory problems.
- Ability to understand how technical language in legislative and regulatory proposals could affect corporate operations, identify business implications, and synthesize policy documents for internal customers that identifies the best course of action.
- Management experience of outside consultants, but also ability to handle issues themselves with no assistance other than moral support.
- Ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others is required. Must be flexible and demonstrate strong judgment/decision-making skills, and political acumen.
- Self-motivated with great internal compass for prioritizing.
- Very adept at creating interesting PowerPoints and organizing data on Excel.
- Ability to maintain the highest personal levels of ethical conduct, confidentiality, and integrity, promoting the strongest professional reputation in the industry.
Tractor Supply Company (TSCO), the largest rural lifestyle retailer in the United States, is dedicated to enhancing our strong company culture built on our Team Members’ commitment to our Mission and Values. With over 2,000 stores in 49 states and an innovative e-commerce platform, Tractor Supply ranks in the Fortune 300 with annual revenues of more than $12 billion and growing! Come grow your career with us as we serve those who live “Life out Here”!
Tractor Supply Company offers a competitive Benefits package, including Medical, Dental, & Vision plans, to all Full-time Team Members as well as Part-time Team Members who are deemed eligible based on a minimum hours requirement. In addition, TSC offers access to other Benefits such as a Health Savings Account, Life Insurance, 401(k), and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan
Learn more here
Job posted: 2022-09-08