Director Government Relations-WAS00045
This senior position directs federal legislative and regulatory activities critical to Cargill’s business operations, reputation, and performance. The position is responsible for advancing the Company’s food and nutrition policy agenda and involves policy setting and analysis, strategic planning, and advocacy at the principal level.
Position serves as the lead government relations advisor and federal lobbyist for Cargill’s food ingredient businesses. Applicant should possess a solid understanding of the external issues and opportunities relevant to Cargill’s business, including food safety, ingredient reputation, nutrition and health. The candidate should demonstrate strong geopolitical insight and the ability to shape public policies that impact global agribusiness and the sustainability of food systems.
The selected candidate will interact daily with senior Business Group, Enterprise, and Corporate Leaders and represent Cargill before a wide range of stakeholders including Members of Congress, White House and other senior executive branch officials. The position also interacts with Cargill’s trade associations and customers, NGOs, IGOs, and other partners in a fast paced, demanding environment.
It requires conduct of the highest ethical standard, excellent relationship building and management skills, strong writing skills, and the ability to explain complex subject matter in concise, common language.
This role serves as a “registered lobbyist” under federal legal requirements.
- Bachelors degree
- Graduate degree preferred
- 10+ years in federal policy, legislative and regulatory affairs, and experience handling food and nutrition policy issues
- Demonstrated experience with and knowledge of a wide range of agriculture, food supply chain, and nutrition stakeholders, policies and processes.
- Strong nutrition and business acumen with an agricultural focus
- Strong foresight and critical thinking about nutrition and its impacts on agriculture business and customer needs
- Comprehensive understanding of the U.S. federal policy development and implementation processes
- Strong curiosity, learning capacity and independent decision-maker
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills
- Self starter and effective problem solver with strong analytic skills
- Ability to set priorities in a fast-paced, demanding environment
- Ability to quickly step in and support objectives outside of his/her direct business portfolio
Equal Opportunity Employer, including Disability/Vet.
Job posted: 2019-05-15