Director, Government Relations – WDC
What are we looking for?
We are seeking a Director of Government Relations focusing on Health Care on our Advocacy Team. As a part of the team, you will maintain effective liaison with designated federal agencies, health care organizations, and coalitions involved with health-related programs. Ensure client policies and positions are brought to the attention of appropriate government officials and related health care associations and coalitions.
What will you do?
- Develop and communicate documents influencing healthcare policies adopted by federal agencies.
- Identify and analyze emerging issues in proposed federal healthcare policy, including priority in terms of client Advocacy objectives and their alignment with the administration’s interests.
- Develop key issue objectives and communication plans to address those topics, collaborating across Advocacy and other Kellen departments to develop messaging top policymakers, stakeholders, and others.
- Develop thoughtful and thorough comment letters influencing policies adopted by the executive branch of the federal government, based on analysis of current and proposed healthcare regulations.
- Engage policymakers to clarify or refine client comments, ensuring comments are incorporated to policies.
- Manage relationships with policymakers and stakeholders.
- Initiate and maintain liaison with appropriate administration officials and health professional organizations in Washington to promote regulatory agenda.
- Advocate client positions to stakeholders and federal officials, and relay information back to the client.
- Liaise with external organizations including identifying potential stakeholders and arranging conference participants and speakers.
- Brief stakeholders, client leadership, and Advocacy colleagues on priorities for federal Advocacy.
- Monitor federal regulatory activities and ongoing activities of various federal programs.
- Prepare briefings for leaders representing the client in official meetings.
- Lead coalition meetings and make public presentations on behalf of the client, as appropriate.
- Advise on regulatory proposals; educate Advocacy colleagues and others about Medicare policies.
- May include other responsibilities as assigned.
Are you qualified?
- Undergraduate degree required
- Preferred- law degree or master’s degree in Public Health, Business or Political Science.
- 10+ years’ experience working in Congress, Federal agencies, consulting firms, or with national medical specialty societies on federal government health issues.
- Strong expertise regarding federal Medicare policy is strongly preferred.
- Working relationships with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC), Congressional Health Subcommittees, and the Health Program at the Office of Management, Executive Office of the President preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal skills crucial for success, including relationship building and maintenance skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including strong presentation skills.
- General understanding of current domestic affairs and their political implications.
- Advanced working knowledge of the medical community.
Ability to travel as needed.
What do we offer?
This role is based in Kellen’s Washington, D.C., office located in the historic National Press Building. Kellen employees enjoy competitive compensation and full benefits packages including 12 U.S. holidays plus accrued PTO, retirement plans with company match, medical/dental/vision insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules, and much more. The successful candidate will join a collegial, diverse and friendly atmosphere of communications, management and public affairs professionals working hard to turn our client missions into reality. For more information, visit kellencompany.com.
Learn more here
Job posted: 2020-09-09