Latest Public Affairs News & Articles
Director Governmental & External Affairs
We’re powering a cleaner, brighter future.
Exelon is leading the energy transformation, and we’re calling all problem solvers, innovators, community builders and change makers. Work with us to deliver solutions that make our diverse cities and communities stronger, healthier and more resilient.
We’re powered by purpose-driven people like you who believe in being inclusive and creative, and value safety, innovation, integrity and community service. We are a Fortune 200 company, 19,000 colleagues strong serving more than 10 million customers at six energy companies — Atlantic City Electric (ACE), Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE), Commonwealth Edison (ComEd), Delmarva Power & Light (DPL), PECO Energy Company (PECO), and Potomac Electric Power Company (Pepco).
In our relentless pursuit of excellence, we elevate diverse voices, fresh perspectives and bold thinking. And since we know transforming the future of energy is hard work, we provide competitive compensation, incentives, excellent benefits and the opportunity to build a rewarding career.
Are you in?
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Lead and direct company representation with State Constitutional Officers and General Assembly; lead and direct company wide initiatives to advance cross-functional business unit objectives; lead strategy and teams to defeat negative legislative, regulatory or business initiatives. Lead and direct subject matter experts across the company to develop positions on legislation filed in the general assembly. Direct and prepare written analyses and advocacy pieces to support company positions and counter opposition. Maintain strategic relationships and represent the company through participation with state and national trade associations and other professional organizations. Position the company and its officers in the political and philanthropic community through sponsoring events and volunteer fundraising. Position may be required to work extended hours for coverage during storms or other energy delivery emergencies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Lead and coordinate company position on all state legislative initiatives in order to advance company objectives and defeat/modify harmful legislative initiatives. This requires frequent travel in Maryland to interface with members of the general assembly, the executive branch and various state agencies.
- Coordinate efforts between the legislative team and various department subject matter experts on developing positions for legislation filed within the general assembly (Legislative bill tracking).
- Lead and direct communications with policymakers to ensure understanding of company issues.
- Lead and direct communications with contract lobbyists to ensure strategic and comprehensive lobbying and information to decision makers.
- Coordinate philanthropic and political events and related volunteer fundraising to advance company and officer reputation in community and with policy leaders.
- Assist in development and implementation of Political Action Committee strategy including solicitation and distribution of funds and representing BGE at events.
- Preparation and distribution of regular reports and presentations of legislative activities, group’s initiatives and results, including status reports; as requested or required by executive team.
- Regular interaction with General Assembly leaders, legislators and staff. Requires need to keep policymakers apprised of issues and provide data and analyses as required. Requires need to maintain high level of information with company officers and employees. Manage opportunities for broader understanding of company issues through additional relationships; presentations at state wide forums; and accessing other company officers and colleagues throughout service territory to deploy message and assist policymakers in decision making. Full compliance with all applicable statutes and regulations governing relationships and activities with external stakeholders.
- Requires regular interaction and coordination with other business units to anticipate and execute on business objectives as they relate to legislation or external stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 12 or more years experience in state, local or federal legislative arena
- In lieu of degree, 15-20 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated communication skills; ability to analyze, interpret and represent data and information
- Broad knowledge of utility operations, economics, regulatory and legislative processes and national energy restructuring trends and issues
- Ability to lead teams and organize long term projects and assignments
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement process enhancements and ability to create value
- 5 years of supervisory experience
Advanced degree: law, communications, business
Job posted: 2023-05-02