Director, Grassroots Program Development
American Farm Bureau Federation
POSITION OBJECTIVE: To engage members in grassroots advocacy tactics and Farm Bureau’s policy development process.
REPORTS TO: Managing Director, Advocacy & Political Affairs.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop, coordinate and implement grassroots activities in coordination with internal departments, to further advance the organization’s mission and grow member activism.
- Assist with Farm Bureau Advocacy activities, including the engagement website, social media accounts, trainings and consultations with state Farm Bureaus.
- Participate in Public Affairs Department staff meetings and other staff meetings to inform internal policy implementation strategies.
- Develop and prepare compelling advocacy-related educational materials, using data and trends for grassroots activity.
- Present FB Advocacy training programs that will help state Farm Bureaus increase their overall effectiveness in grassroots advocacy and political affairs activities. This includes presentations during state Farm Bureau visits, national conferences, AFBF leadership committee meetings and as needed for other groups.
- Collaborate in the planning, preparation, and marketing of conferences with a grassroots advocacy or policy development track.
- Participate as a member of the Strategic Action Team providing input on Association-wide planning and advocacy integration and engagement efforts.
- As a registered lobbyist, assist in the lobbying activities of Farm Bureau public policy issues, as requested. Establish and maintain good working relationships with congressional staff, federal administrative and regulatory agencies through regular contact.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the management of the AFBF Policy Development process, which includes the annual Resolutions Committee meeting and Business Session of the Delegate Body.
- Assist with the annual voting delegate session. Assist with creating and editing materials related to the AFBF policy book and distribute materials to states.
- Provide leadership and assist with planning, preparing, and marketing conferences with a grassroots advocacy or policy development track.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with state Farm Bureau leadership and staff.
- Serve as a resource to AFBF Communications team in the development and dissemination of advocacy materials.
Communicate with AFBF staff and state Farm Bureau staff with respect to grassroots advocacy and policy implementation. Operate as a team member of the Public Affairs Department.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING REQUIRED:
- Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- 5 years’ experience including 2 years’ experience related to grassroots advocacy or policy implementation programs
- Strong communication skills
- Public speaking skills
- Knowledge of Agriculture
- Farm Bureau or trade association experience
- Travel required approximately 20-30% of the time.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for application is December 2, 2018.
Job posted: 2018-11-21